IdleRich

IdleRich
Yes with Nabakov there is a clinical thing going on, he's a genius dissecting people, sometimes playing games. Does it follow that there is no discovery? I don't think so, I'd say the opposite is true.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Again there is the germ of truth in that criticism but I really think you should read some of these guys before dismissing them. You're in danger of being like that kid in the film whose Dad is a failed writer and he dismisses everyone as second-rate so the boy just copies his opinions and hasn't read anything. What film is that?

luka

You don't need to read more than a sentence of any given writer to know everything about them

sus

Eoj_H_ZXcAIH8T0

Foucault, The Order of Things

IdleRich

IdleRich
Not sure I'm that into arguing. Insults are alright sometimes, but not debating
Strangely I went to bed and read a bit of Orlando where she basically agreed with you completely (in fact went further) but it's still wrong.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You don't need to read more than a sentence of any given writer to know everything about them
Does "Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk" tell you everything you need to know about Joyce?

It probably does, doesn't it?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Here are the passages from Virginia Woolf (It's sideways, sorry)

Woolf1.jpg

Woolf2.jpg

Basically Orlanda hangs around with Pope, Addington and Swift and, well, you can see, but the gist of it is you only have to read the passages she quotes and you know for certain that Addington would be polite and girly and marry faitfully, while Swift would be coarse and crazy and passionate and die in a madhouse.

luka

These are lovely bits of writing everyone's assembled but let's not forget that this is the thread for Reading and Responding to Borges so let's not turn it into another scrapbook of quotations. You have to obey Thread-Leader and Thread-Monitor Mvuent. He set homework and the homework must be completed.

Reactions: sus

luka

Often a temptation to use a thread to say 'I know this thing about this thing' and then we proudly share our fact. This temptation should be resisted

Reactions: sus

IdleRich

IdleRich
Probably Robbe-Grillet is relevant though - there must be some reason Nabakov picked the same phrases to describe them.