yr best most summery summer jams

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
we're going to counter the impending gloom of COVID winter w/yr most summer jams that have ever soundtracked an idyllic summer somewhere

like make em cool but really whatever make you feel summer, sand surf spray sweat swim sun on your shoulders, the smell of sunblock (or tanning lotion)

vamos a la motherfucking playa motherfucker

padraig (u.s.)

@craner and I are on our own version of The Trip to Italy, sailing thru the Gulf of Naples with hot renowned international war correspondent babes, etc

only instead of visiting literary sites like Coogan and Bryndon, we're on a tour of famous giallo filming sets

this is the diagetic background music as we bicker about whether Bertolucci was better than Pasolini

padraig (u.s.)

somehow these guys are not from Ibiza or the Cantabrian coast or whatever, they're from fucking Belgium which is basically cold rain year-round

but this song is really from a mythical land where the only rain is tropical and refreshing and the sun is forever gently beating down on yr beatific face

padraig (u.s.)

this is wistful bittersweet end of summer, a touch melancholic, good memories behind but winter looming in the far distance, isolation and cold

but guess what motherfucker - right now it's still summer! long summer nights! and you know where love lives? you got it right - fucking summer, boss

padraig (u.s.)

I've said it before, I'll say it again - South African bubblegum and old-school kwaito, is the most joyous music ever created by anyone anywhere

now put it over the top of a monster ca 1990 Italo-house piano riff

in a slightly better alternate universe Sasha was smashing this record at the Hacienda as the Summer of Love tailed off into 90s rave culture

padraig (u.s.)

early obscure Patrick Adams jam w/strong Curtis Mayfield vibes, idk those strings just scream summer sweetness to me

padraig (u.s.)

there's a non-zero possibility this thread is just an excuse for me to pitch one-liners about disco tracks I've enjoyed recently

but who wouldn't like this glistening, gliding post-Moroder proto-house jam with swooping synths and that insanely funky yet also shredding guitar

• Haha
Reactions: sus

padraig (u.s.)

peak Balearic sex jam, waves breaking gently as you make love w/yr partner on a balcony overlooking the beaches of Ipanema

padraig (u.s.)

yeah it's famous but the new kids don't know the trve kvlt roots of dance music, we have to show them, it is our sacred duty (a minor one tbf)

those wild, slightly off (in the best possible way) trumpets that came in after 45 seconds of that shit-hot and v-blaaaaaazed intro

summer 1978, any packed dancefloor in America, writhing bodies, Christopher Lasch mumbling in the background about the culture of narcissism

• Haha
Reactions: sus

padraig (u.s.)

have u ever wondered what "Camino del Sol" would be if it was wayyyy dubbed out inna post-Levan style, instead of icy and droll

this is the sound of smoking a blunt in a hammock strung between palm trees, gazing out on rippling waves and contemplating the meaning of life

linebaugh

your several mai tais deep on a beachside lawn chair. probably more than a little high. Book open, pages down on your chest. A lit cigarettes' dangles precariously from a hand strewn over the arm rest.

padraig (u.s.)

great mix, afraid to soil it

for the summer nights collection
boss the beauty of summer of is that no one person owns it, it's the collective full flower of joy

capital can capture a facsimile of summer, ad men can sell it back to you in a million ersatz slices

but nothing can capture the feeling of warmth in your bones presaging a perfect high of sunshine and bliss

and I approve the addition - the date is going well, finishing off the first bottle wine, both starting to feel the vibe, but it's not quite sex jam time yet

padraig (u.s.)

and I'm ride or die for "Steal My Sunshine" in ANY context

it's basically a perfect song - including, of course, a perfect summer song

bored teenagers on drugs in the late 90s in that last stretch of time b4 our individual lives and collective social lives were consumed by the Internet

the last era when kids really had to manufacture their own fun

as well as a wistful, near-perfect evocation of brief carefree period of young adulthood - old enough to have to fun but not to have major responsibilities

that brief moment of stolen sunshine, I know it - time, childhood, life - is up for me - salad days soon to pass

the album version has some skit interludes that really elucidate the Bourdieusian web of gossip in which fleeting teenage glory operates

padraig (u.s.)

as well as a wistful, near-perfect evocation of brief carefree period of young adulthood - old enough to have to fun but not to have major responsibilities
for those fortunate enough not to be saddled with such responsibilities at a young age, or in some other way denied a childhood, of course

but look yall this thread ain't about real-world concerns and unfairness and seemingly half my queer and trans friends doing OnlyFans to get by (no judgment - ever - but let's not fucking pretend that, isn't also yunno, survival sex) and every other fucking terrible thing

this thread is about one thing, eternal summer stretching forward and backward endlessly

padraig (u.s.)

this thread is about a single wave breaking forever gently onto the infinite and welcoming shores of your heart

every British guitar band vocal harmony ever is just an attempt to recreate this magic

padraig (u.s.)

late 60s British heavy psych with absolute mess of hot proto-shred guitar dropped on top of a huge organ riff and those aforementioned vocal harmonies

really it's just an uncredited remake of Hey Jude, but if you're going to rip anything off, I mean, make it the last 4 minutes of Hey Jude

and they have the vibe "the sun shines brightly ever day, let it shine, let shine" into infinity

padraig (u.s.)

lo-fi 2010s psychedelic guitar summer, tripping slowly on technicolor shores while the purple surf melts into yr pores (RIP Tres Warren)