Wild trumpets in hip hop

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Inspired by Benny's flute riddims thread but a much narrower focus.

Mainly thinking of 90s rap music here, though as you can see not necessarily.

Stuff that samples boppers making their trumpets (or saxes or whatever) halloo like frightened farm animals.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
All that talk of ghosts and hauntology - has that ever been applied to the use of jazz horns in 90s east coast rap?

They can sound like heavenly visitations (T.R.O.Y.) or like the return of the repressed.

luka

All that talk of ghosts and hauntology - has that ever been applied to the use of jazz horns in 90s east coast rap?

They can sound like heavenly visitations (T.R.O.Y.) or like the return of the repressed.
Never ask if somethings been done before. Just do it as if it's your original idea and if it turns out someone else did it first, plead ignorance.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Never ask if somethings been done before. Just do it as if it's your original idea and if it turns out someone else did it first, plead ignorance.

I need to know so I can write a book that will topple Barry's off the bestseller list

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I see we've got away from the wild trumpets to general trumpets - and as a spirit as beneficent as the saviour Himself, I'll allow that.

Lots of great fanfare trumpets in southern rap particularly

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Although I would like more examples of that dark 90s jazz inflected (mostly east coast) rap where the trumpets sound unhinged.