The Prelude.

jenks

thread death
Just finished the groupname for grapejuice book and that last chapter about Blake and McLuen seems to mesh with a lot of what you’ve been saying today. The phrase that stuck in my head was ‘perception is incarnation’ and if nothing else I feel that the Prelude is about being born, coming to ones senses, through an ability to perceive. I don’t know if that makes sense to anyone else

sus

I had a strange experience with the Grapejuice book last night too. I had set it by the toilet to peruse. Hadn't looked in months. On a whim picked it up, found a bit about mazes like Chinese fingertraps, or, the only way to solve the maze is dissolve it. First acid trip I had, the only one that was a real transcendental breakthru, ESP and types, had this exact same mental cycle. Then, bam, next page, Blake's wheels within wheels, a grounding motif from a reality-shattering trip some 9 months later. Maybe this lines up with Luka's "structure of the imagination" and "ideas are already in the water" bits, maybe it's just Jungian, I dunno but—the psychedelic phenomenology is there for sure.

luka

Just finished the groupname for grapejuice book and that last chapter about Blake and McLuen seems to mesh with a lot of what you’ve been saying today. The phrase that stuck in my head was ‘perception is incarnation’ and if nothing else I feel that the Prelude is about being born, coming to ones senses, through an ability to perceive. I don’t know if that makes sense to anyone else
Makes a lot of sense to me

sus

As we exited the park, Ixyl morphed in front of my eyes; her whole being was unstable; she switched faces and clothes by the second, each smoothly becoming the next. I understood her as not a specific person, but as every woman simultaneous. I entered the apartment building alone and with everyone at once.

I came to understand that the room in which I was now seated, Ixyl's basement laundry, was a portal, a passageway between chambers, between other egg-sac worlds—each a cell in embedded wheels I pictured as millions of people working their way inward from the outer zones to some inner circle of escape, transcendence, samsara, whatever. I came to understand that there were many stages and positions in this wheel, filled by many entities; that the world I had occupied was a world I was now, rapidly, being sucked out of. I could not tell whether I was moving outward or inward.

I came to understand that the outer egg-sac worlds involved intense, inescapable suffering, where each successive exit meant only more imprisonment. My worst nightmares about about opening a door only to find myself in the same aluminum cell, over and over. Why had Ixyl brought me here: to be with me in the end? to ensure my journey over? Was she bound up in the same fate or my deliverer or my deliverance. The room started to vibrate, and I looked at Ixyl, she was sitting watching me with scared eyes. I kissed her. She asked what I was doing, she said "You have a girlfriend." I gestured at the churning noises, I asked what she thought was coming. She said, "Spendy, that's the washer machines."

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I had a strange experience with the Grapejuice book last night too. I had set it by the toilet to peruse. Hadn't looked in months. On a whim picked it up, found a bit about mazes like Chinese fingertraps, or, the only way to solve the maze is dissolve it. First acid trip I had, the only one that was a real transcendental breakthru, ESP and types, had this exact same mental cycle. Then, bam, next page, Blake's wheels within wheels, a grounding motif from a reality-shattering trip some 9 months later. Maybe this lines up with Luka's "structure of the imagination" and "ideas are already in the water" bits, maybe it's just Jungian, I dunno but—the psychedelic phenomenology is there for sure.

Ideas are only in the water when they are punched into you. they hurt. This is why the psychedelic culture is frivolous.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
As we exited the park, Ixyl morphed in front of my eyes; her whole being was unstable; she switched faces and clothes by the second, each smoothly becoming the next. I understood her as not a specific person, but as every woman simultaneous. I entered the apartment building alone and with everyone at once.

I came to understand that the room in which I was now seated, Ixyl's basement laundry, was a portal, a passageway between chambers, between other egg-sac worlds—each a cell in embedded wheels I pictured as millions of people working their way inward from the outer zones to some inner circle of escape, transcendence, samsara, whatever. I came to understand that there were many stages and positions in this wheel, filled by many entities; that the world I had occupied was a world I was now, rapidly, being sucked out of. I could not tell whether I was moving outward or inward.

I came to understand that the outer egg-sac worlds involved intense, inescapable suffering, where each successive exit meant only more imprisonment. My worst nightmares about about opening a door only to find myself in the same aluminum cell, over and over. Why had Ixyl brought me here: to be with me in the end? to ensure my journey over? Was she bound up in the same fate or my deliverer or my deliverance. The room started to vibrate, and I looked at Ixyl, she was sitting watching me with scared eyes. I kissed her. She asked what I was doing, she said "You have a girlfriend." I gestured at the churning noises, I asked what she thought was coming. She said, "Spendy, that's the washer machines."

You need to work on your prose, it is lamentably trite in the extreme.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

yes, everything is a ghost of a ghost of a ghost of a multiplication of a multiplication of a multiplication.

When those ghosts start punching you, that's when it becomes the real heavy shit.

This is different to Nietzsche's eternal recurrence which indicates a static encirclement. What we are talking about leaps and cataclysms that bury their dead, only for their dead to glare at them from the curtains.

luka

Third has been unhappy the last couple of days. Maybe we need to start a gabba thread or something. Cheer him up.

luka

One summer evening (led by her) I found
A little boat tied to a willow tree
Within a rocky cave, its usual home.
Straight I unloosed her chain, and stepping in
Pushed from the shore. It was an act of stealth
And troubled pleasure, nor without the voice
Of mountain-echoes did my boat move on;
Leaving behind her still, on either side,
Small circles glittering idly in the moon,
Until they melted all into one track
Of sparkling light. But now, like one who rows,
Proud of his skill, to reach a chosen point
With an unswerving line, I fixed my view
Upon the summit of a craggy ridge,
The horizon's utmost boundary; far above
Was nothing but the stars and the grey sky.
She was an elfin pinnace; lustily
I dipped my oars into the silent lake,
And, as I rose upon the stroke, my boat
Went heaving through the water like a swan;
When, from behind that craggy steep till then
The horizon's bound, a huge peak, black and huge,
As if with voluntary power instinct
Upreared its head. I struck and struck again,
And growing still in stature the grim shape
Towered up between me and the stars, and still,
For so it seemed, with purpose of its own
And measured motion like a living thing,
Strode after me. With trembling oars I turned,
And through the silent water stole my way
Back to the covert of the willow tree;
There in her mooring-place I left my bark,—
And through the meadows homeward went, in grave
And serious mood; but after I had seen
That spectacle, for many days, my brain
Worked with a dim and undetermined sense
Of unknown modes of being; o'er my thoughts
There hung a darkness, call it solitude
Or blank desertion. No familiar shapes
Remained, no pleasant images of trees,
Of sea or sky, no colours of green fields;
But huge and mighty forms, that do not live
Like living men, moved slowly through the mind
By day, and were a trouble to my dreams.

Last edited:

luka

We've hit a famous bit. Not content with stealing eggs from the nest he's gone and robbed a boat. Here's a lovely musical bit by me that does the sexual rowing thing too

Water
sloshing lewdly over moving oars.

Last edited:

luka

Wisdom and Spirit of the universe!
Thou Soul that art the eternity of thought,
That givest to forms and images a breath
And everlasting motion, not in vain
By day or star-light thus from my first dawn
Of childhood didst thou intertwine for me
The passions that build up our human soul;
Not with the mean and vulgar works of man,
But with high objects, with enduring things—
With life and nature, purifying thus
The elements of feeling and of thought,
And sanctifying, by such discipline,
Both pain and fear, until we recognise
A grandeur in the beatings of the heart.
Nor was this fellowship vouchsafed to me
With stinted kindness. In November days,
When vapours rolling down the valley made
A lonely scene more lonesome, among woods,
At noon and 'mid the calm of summer nights,
When, by the margin of the trembling lake,
Beneath the gloomy hills homeward I went
In solitude, such intercourse was mine;
Mine was it in the fields both day and night,
And by the waters, all the summer long.

luka

In solitude, such intercourse was mine;
Mine was it in the fields both day and night,
And by the waters, all the summer long.

the teal sky which is
ice on the shoulders and just that edge is mine, locked into bone as suffering. is mine as posesssion, mine.

luka

I didn't grow up along the Derwent. I grew up on Romford Road where the double decker buses would mingle their murmurings and so on. Among the mean and vulgar works of man.

I like this passage.

until we recognise
A grandeur in the beatings of the heart.

I think is important.

luka

I was invisible then,
passing unseen along inward-looking streets,
under the high, gaunt trees, stripped of leaf.
Dark bark gleaming with rain damp.
And the grey slates of the rooves-
gleaming with rain damp.
Wet wing of the Cormorant.
Inland now and fishing the canals
Black shapes swallowed by water,
ripples radiating around an absence.
Sky of forgiving grey.
Blocks of muted colour. Clouds low in the sky.
Haphazard arrangement of material and form,
planes
of brick and pebbledash
boundaries
of courragated iron and barbed wire.
Lichen on roof tiles.
Slow rivers of mud;
Industrial Effluent.
Tyres.
Shopping Trollies,
a landscape of light-industry, derelict warehouses,
rat warrens, buddliea bushes, gregarious birds.
The low marshland of the East.
Roads follow river
east to estuary,
The Wind is salty, carries
sea-birds with it, flapping
and squawking.
I uncovered gardens of wild weed and flower behind churches and railway tracks.
Alongside indolent rivers and neglected canals.
Gardens of brick and rubble.
Rust gardens. Knots of metal.
Dandelion and Crab apple,
bindweed and hawthorn.
Gravestones take root
in the shadow of Yew trees,
Flower Sporadically,

luka

That was my landscape. Iain Sinclair did a good job of capturing the poetry that belonged to those landscapes at the time. No need to dwell on it.