Locker room talk: rolling basketball thread

sus

KD efficiency/threat obviously higher than Wiggs+Poole, but I do think there's something to be said for splitting the threat among more players. If GS can put out a lineup where 4/5 of the guys can put up 30pts on a given night, defenses are flabbergasted in a similar way that they were when having to split between KD/Curry/Thompson. You can't leave Wiggs or Poole wide open at the 3 the way they did Iggy. Anyway, I guess time will tell!

Leo

both teams look good, lots of offense tonight, Celtics have forced some turnovers but need to get better on the boards. feeling pretty good about being up at halftime. Steph with 21 in the first quarter and zero in the second, and three fouls.

Leo

I don't discount the Warriors, I'm sure they'll come back, but they put it on cruise control in the second half. And they looked tired. The Celtics are inconsistent, but it's a dangerous move to feel entitled when facing them. Kind of seemed like the Warriors felt entitled to win the game and championship, and ended up losing a front tooth when the Celtics finally punched them in the face in the final quarter.

Leo

Kendrick Perkins:

"The Warriors scored 16 points in the fourth quarter. 16. That ain't just happen because they were missing shots. No, the Celtics were getting to them, they couldn't get the ball to get their shot off.

They were on their ass like diapers on a baby. That's what it was, that's exactly what it was."

sus

Bet finals gonna be a game-by-game dogfight tho. Both teams are more than capable of stealing one away from home. May not be the massive swings of Eastern Conference playoffs this year.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Let me understand this? Cs beat Ws in the first game - and which one was more lightly tested previously? Did my warning pan out is my question?

• Love
Reactions: sus

sus

Let me understand this? Cs beat Ws in the first game - and which one was more lightly tested previously? Did my warning pan out is my question?
Cs, hot off a brutal 7-game series, beat up on Ws, who had just cruised through a 5-game series.

linebaugh

Everything @padraig (u.s.) says is true, except this "B/B- supporting cast business around the core." Wiggins, Looney, Poole, Porter, and GP2 are not a "B-level supporting cast." Three of those guys are the second option on most teams—OP had 18PPG on the Wizards, Wiggs and Poole put up similar numbers now. All three are near-max-contract players. Two of those guys are elite defenders, and Porter/Looney are solidly above-average, esp relative to their contracts. In other words, the core trio has three supporting members who could plausibly get a maximum contract in coming years. That's A-level support IMO, even if health/injury issues have frequently pushed it into B-level (e.g. Lee, Bjelica, Moody subbing in as a result).

Boston may well have the best set of wings in the NBA, but worth pointing out—Thompson/Wiggs isn't far-off. Both are monster, all-NBA caliber defenders. Their combined PER is only a few points behind Brown/Tatum and I'd imagine per-possession efficiency is slightly higher.

I think you're right that Iggy's a big loss, but maybe underestimating Wiggins defensively. Wiggs did a very impressive job, I thought, on Luka, who's notoriously unguardable. Led to a lot of driving + passing out, which, if Mavs could hit their open 3s, might've actually forced a G6/7.
Otto porter averaged 18 a game on the wizards, the wizards, and every bone in his body has exploded at one point since then. Poole is probably the only guy on that list that might manage to be second option on a decent team.

Last edited:

Leo

Celts get good games from people like White and Horford when Tatum or Brown have an off night, one or two other guys there to pick up the slack. Good bench, so not totally reliant on their stars. Pritchard making steals and hitting threes.

sus

Otto porter averaged 18 a game on the wizards, the wizards, and every bone in his body has exploded at one point since then. Poole is probably the only guy on that list that might manage to be second option on a decent team.
I dare you to claim that Spencer Dinwiddie is better than Wiggs or healthy OP

linebaugh

I dare you to claim that Spencer Dinwiddie is better than Wiggs or healthy OP
Hes better than Otto porter. Otto porter has been a low 20 minutes a night guy for 3 seasons now.

And not that any of them are championship quality second options, but Brunson is our number 2 and he's definitely better than all of them on offense. Though wiggs is probably better overall by just a smidge.