Locker room talk: rolling basketball thread

sus

Yeah Rich for context, Boston Celtics + LA Lakers are the two dominant franchises historically (with the addition of the Michael Jordan Bulls in the 90s). Warriors had some good years like... 80 years ago... but were otherwise complete ass for decades. Since 2015 they've arguably been the best team in the league (with some off-years of bad rosters/injuries).

sus

So it's sorta an Old Guard New Guard thing. East Coast/West Coast. A classic historied sports city vs a tech city's "light years ahead" lineup

Leo

only tuned in for the 4th but the celtics look really impressive. their defense is incredible

another good 3rd for the warriors but not enough, and the Celtics didn't turn the ball over as much (but still too much).

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yup it's a California team! We have three—one in LA, one in Sacramento. Sacramento is very far from me and also... a very bad team. LA Lakers and GS Warriors about equidistant. Hometown has pretty split loyalty. Lots of natural bandwagoning depending on which one is doing well.
So it's quite normal to support two local teams? In football it's normally the exact oppostite, so Liverpool and Evertono are deadly rivals... as are Rangers and Celtic or whatever... Galatasaray and Fenerbahce. The list is endless but the normal etiquette is to support your team and to wish the most painful and crushing defeat (if not death) on the other one at all times.

linebaugh

robert williams is the next evolution of what guys like tyson chandler/deandre jordan were for the previous generation. perfect role playing big whos best skills are the most useful a center can have in todays game.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

So it's quite normal to support two local teams? In football it's normally the exact oppostite, so Liverpool and Evertono are deadly rivals... as are Rangers and Celtic or whatever... Galatasaray and Fenerbahce. The list is endless but the normal etiquette is to support your team and to wish the most painful and crushing defeat (if not death) on the other one at all times.

you're either a yankees fan or mets fan, white sox or cubs.

linebaugh

no its actually the cynical cavorting of a man without principles, loyalty or shame.

Leo

warriors haven't really had good defense in this series, game 2 was won by their offense and Celtics shitty play (missing open shots, turning the ball over). Ws got creamed on the boards tonight, Celts with 15 offense rebounds, 22 second-chance points. Boston too big, physical.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I was surprised to learn that - even in a godless, post-moral country such as America - it was deemed ok to support a local team AND the nearest other team, and just kinda switch depending on which was doing better. Sure, if you see a car that you like better than the one you have now, then you can trade - or if you prefer, you can just get the new one and keep the old one and have two. If a beautiful woman moves in next door and you reallise that you find her more attractive than the one you have now then it's the same. Get rid of the old one and replace her with the new one - or if you're the greedy sort, have them both, it's fine, who could complain about that?

But football teams are different. You can't have two teams - and you certainly can't swap for another one just cos it's doing better! Obviously I understand it's only basketball so it's not such a big deal but still it was a surprise to hear that.... Thanks @Leo and @linebaugh for straightening that out I'm glad to know that some standards DO apply and it's just Suspended who is failing to uphold them - can't believe he would brazenly admit to it on an open forum like this though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
nb I'm sure that you realise that the above was a joke. I do not really think it is ok to swap "your" woman for a better version or to string two along at once and nor should you. I wouldn't normally feel the need to spell that out but when dealing with people who swap the team they support just like that then all the moral certainties are gone and we're adrift in a treacherous sea of inconstancy with no map and a compass that can't find north.

Leo

@suspended

08nba-finals-g3-williams-superJumbo.jpg

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
How was my prediction? Am I doing better than one of those magical animals at the world cup? I think it was an octopus last time.

Leo

How was my prediction? Am I doing better than one of those magical animals at the world cup? I think it was an octopus last time.

you were accurate at half time, but the Celtics overcame a 3rd quarter Warriors comeback to run away with it in the 4th (held the Ws to just 11 point in the last quarter) to win 116-100.