Michael Mann

linebaugh

Ms 45 was the other and I loved it. Made me want to make a movie. All you need is violence, a good score, and one clever plot device as it turns out.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Started this last night. Been wanting to see it for a while, but assumed we wouldn't get it in the UK as it's an HBO thing.

I think Mann only directed the first episode, but hopefully they keep the style. There's a bit where he films the main guy taking an exam like he's trying to crack a safe, close ups on his stern expressions, shaky glances at the clock.

😂

Saw that was on when we were flipping through channels the other day... was in the middle though so didn't bother.

version

Ive seen king of new york which was almost an amzing film, but still good. The performances were great, and it pulled off the hip hop element in a way pretty much every other film fails. Good tongue in cheek, hyper real tone too, just wish it had more of a visual style and better story arc

Did you watch the remaster? It does have a visual style. Lots of deep blues, glossy surfaces.

King-of-New-York.png
kofnyt.png
Untitled.png
Untitled.png

version

He can be clunky, but he's got a good eye. You can sometimes see how something might have looked better had he had the gear and the money. He's never really had the budgets of someone like Mann.

version

There's one called The Blackout that's really weird, like a TV movie of Lost Highway with Dennis Hopper, Beatrice Dalle and Matthew Modine; Claudia Schiffer makes an appearance too.

Ferrara gives the impression he's a bit all over the place and doesn't really know what he's doing, but if you listen to him talk about his films then you realise he does. All the things you'd think would just be critics and academics reading into them he says himself, stuff like the impact of home video technology, digital, flicking between screens and formats and what it means and does to be watched and filmed.

craner

Beast of Burden
Fucking hell. He should have made AGNELLI. That would have been much harder but much better.

wild greens

Questionable music choices aside, watching Miami Vice (2006) for the first time in about ten years and can i just say what an amazing film this is.

Is the series any good? I might have to torrent it if it's not on any streaming things