sus

Had a friend in London who used to have some lose connection to a moderately famous designer (or used to be famous, probably fading a bit now) and she used to go over with her to Paris Fashion Week, and as far as I can tell she used to go there, help this woman put her collection together, get shouted at the whole time they were doing it, blamed for everything that went wrong, insulted and not invited to the after-parties and (apart from possibly the ticket there) get paid nothing. I just couldn't get it at all, from what I can tell the designer wasn't even grateful, sounded like a right bitch.
Another friend of mine who worked in (incredibly shit) fashion magazines and always used to come round my house cos she fancied my flatmate. It was weird she used to turn up and let herself in and just sit there staring at him. Anyway, one time she told me she'd just met up with one of her friends who was interning at some magazine or something like. She'd said to this friend "How was your day?" and she'd replied saying "Bit of a weird one, I just hid under a desk all day".
It turned out that this intern girl, well, her boss was in fact also an intern at this magazine or whatever it was and she couldn't be arsed to do all the shitty pointless menial tasks that people expect interns to do - for no money of course. So basically this intern had got her own intern without telling her own boss, and without telling the lower intern that she was a kind of unofficial rogue intern (a bit like that computer support guy who was in the news cos he outsourced his own job - but without any money involved). But one day - the day in question obviously - the actual boss came into the office and the official intern panicked cos there was no other exit for her underling to escape, so she quickly explained the situation and said to her intern "The boss lady mustn't see you, quick hide under that desk there until she leaves" but unfortunately she stayed and worked in the office all day. So... the unpaid intern's intern may indeed have in turn been unpaid, but at least she gained experience (albeit of hiding under a desk) and networked in that she was in the same room as this boss woman who was I understand quite famous (albeit unseen cos she was hiding under a desk).
Amazing story Rich​

woops

is not like other people
hazing x exploitation = interning

not on the same level as rich story but i've been told not to bother making a cup of tea for the intern while making one for everyone else (but i did anyway)

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
hazing x eploitation = interning

not on the same level as rich story but i've been told not to bother making a cup of tea for the intern while making one for everyone else (but i did anyway)
It's not such a funny story but it is fucking shocking beyond belief.