New R&B

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm not a big one for R&B, in fact, more often than not I hate it. But @Leo posted in the Tune of The Day (Redux) thread that thing with someone reworking Mary J Blige on top of an almost ebm type beat and I loved it. I'm not asking people to do my work for me here (I am) but I'd love to hear more of this kinda bleepy robosoul type stuff which is almost like a cross between electro and r&b or ebm and r&b, or perhaps even acid - stuff I could mix into dark, heavy druggy electro (as discussed in the Drvg Cvltvre thread) to inject a surprising moment of FUN into a set.

When I ask these questions I have something quite elusive in mind, I know there is loads of house with a soulful vocal but I suppose I need more from r&b than just the vocal. Or maybe, with that MJB bootleg part of what I liked was the tension between the vocal not being meant to go with that beat. I dunno really, I think I'll know it when I hear it though, so, hit me with some bangers of this nature and I will be very grateful to you.

I seem to have it in my mind that there was one by Martyn Bootyspoon that fit the bill perfectly but I can't remember which track it was now....

Leo

I'd love to know if there's stuff like that too. which leads to the question: why hasn't some good r&b vocalist gone into the studio with a bleepy/ebm producer and cut some track? kinda like when Gil Scott heron went into the studio with young producers for "I'm new here", or Bjork worked with Arca. I'd be first in line for, say, a Beyonce album produced by Paranoid London.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
no it would be shit. ebm is stiff, regimented, ominous. That's what makes it great. that its so stiff it becomes funky inadvertently. rnb is sophisticated, sultry and polymorphous. EBM is not sloppy, but its simple and crude. rnb is more complex in that sense, though still not as complex as say classic soul or jazz funk, and the West African islamic music which nourished the blues.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
detroit techno is ebm gone wrong. which makes it great. it has the slick, cold melodic lines of european electronic music mixed with the funk of disco. Something earthy like funk is made intergalactic, beamed into outer space.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But sometimes that kind of contrast can unexpectedly work. I mean, weird contrasts can work despite all the rules suggesting otherwise. I'd like to hear some examples before ruling out the idea. With that attitude there would be no experimentation.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
anyway rich embrace the vulnerable in music and you will grow to like rnb.

Most new rnb after 2008 is boring, though.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
But sometimes that kind of contrast can unexpectedly work. I mean, weird contrasts can work despite all the rules suggesting otherwise. I'd like to hear some examples before ruling out the idea. With that attitude there would be no experimentation.

maybe but the last thing I want in an rnb song is a four to the floor kickdrum. Otherwise sure the melodic content and pinging 80s arp synths of ebm could work.

IdleRich

IdleRich
What about r&b acid though? Wouldn't even need to change the beats just put some cool noises in there... surely that's been done, surely?

rubberdingyrapids

i dont totally get sault. i like wildfires well enough, and the singing is great, but it often sounds a bit like its from the early or mid 90s, just that without using breakbeat samples, theyre doing it 'organically' in that modern production sense where everything sounds digitally rendered lush and warm etc. like a cousin of adrian younge, who i like in places for all his great period details, but sault actually seems a bit middlebrow i think.

Leo

no it would be shit. ebm is stiff, regimented, ominous. That's what makes it great. that its so stiff it becomes funky inadvertently. rnb is sophisticated, sultry and polymorphous. EBM is not sloppy, but its simple and crude. rnb is more complex in that sense, though still not as complex as say classic soul or jazz funk, and the West African islamic music which nourished the blues.

not an r&b track, just r&b vocals, over electro/bleepy beats. listen to the mary k Blige edit I posted earlier (below) that rich is using as a reference.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I guess I got kinda tricked into buying it (Sault I mean) from the kinda post-punk disco-not-disco angle and that is there I guess. But I just never feel like listening to it.