boxedjoy

one thing I've been enjoying lately is the street soul revival - a kind of alternate history of what was happening late 80s/early 90s, lots of reissues of stuff that history hasn't been as celebratory of

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
I love your posts @thirdform but as a DIY veteran this city specific landscape you outline is very narrow. It can also align the “shires” as lost worlds, unworthy of representation too.

Nottingham owned House for a good ten years. We wanted out so we headed for the hills with a rig, fliers seeded across most of the country and music for every taste. Mixed with all manner of fellow sound systems whose musical range can’t be overstated, horizontal tents where as @146 I.Q. Magical thinker states correctly, you could unwind. It wasn’t all hedonism. The friendships made then have lasted since. That’s no small plot line.

The single biggest dissolution was class. The few times I rubbed shoulders with public school people without battering them. My brother coming out one night was huge. Add free entry where money was excluded. Completely levelled the playing field. London only really figured (personally) with squat parties and if the Liberators showed, we’d bail. Fuck that nonsense.

Funny thread. Starts off one way and tangents hard. I don’t know how you’ve all held this discussion down while some of us have been repairing bicycle chains and retrieving a drowned Action Man from the toilet.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Similar to Jordy P.

Action Man wanted out. His grip hands dissolved decades ago in the late 70’s, proper heirloom, hair rubbed away, fucked eagle eyes, one foot missing but he limped on. My brother found a bunch after clearing out the attic at my folks gaff. What a time capsule. Training tower, a boat and these zip line things we adapted across the washing line. Loas of fun. John Major lick my balls.

Now he’s sat in a sink full of bleach, wondering wtf just happened.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Glasgow is a clubbing city but it's a very 4/4 pulse that runs through it.

I've seen jungle go down disastrously a few times and UKG is barely present.
I'm sure someone has written a mini-thesis here years ago about how the relative importance of the reggae influence declines as you go further north, i.e. further from London and Bristol.

boxedjoy

the real sound of Glasgow - not the Sub Club or The Arches or whatever - is donk and bouncey house, that's what you hear blasting out of cars and in high street clubs at 3am

boxedjoy

the real sound of Glasgow - not the Sub Club or The Arches or whatever - is donk and bouncey house, that's what you hear blasting out of cars and in high street clubs at 3am

this one is massively popular despite being awful in every conceivable way, I love it obviously

Yes but it’s the other side of the coin to boxedjoys ‘lived experience’ reduction. He overemphasises identity and you overemphasise actually being there and stuff. My point is nobody knows what the fuck is going on!!!

version

One thing I find myself banging my head against is whether anything that can be sold can be an escape route, also whether any product of a society can ever really be against that society.

boxedjoy

I wouldn't say I'm over-emphasising identity - but then I'm obviously biased in favour of my own position, haha - but I think it's easy to overlook how much this stuff can affect you when you're not experiencing the effects. This is not about misery festishisation: but growing up in a household that was at points so poor that you had to make calls in a phonebox is not something that leaves you, nor does spending half your life being vigilant against homophobia and its consequences when you're an out gay man, and if I view things through the prism of class and gender/sexual identity to an excessive degree, it's because the way structures treat me for existing this way reflects that.