How have you changed?

luka

yeah thats a self defeating script you are running its like saying lifting weights will just teach you you cant lift weights but that way you will never give yourself to chance to have really big muscles

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I wish I did have stories to tell but in truth I've got none. Without wanting to sound either self aggrandising or self pitying I've always felt disconnected from other people. Somehow I feel you have to be plugged into the common experience to write novels (although I'm sure there are plenty of examples to the contrary - maybe the problem is that I'm neither plugged into common experience or mad enough to be interestingly alienated). Larkin tried to be a novelist and became a poet, and said that he thought he ultimately wasn't interested enough in other people to be a novelist.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's the same with poetry, really, I like the idea of it but I never have any ideas.

That's why I enjoyed writing those poems about wanking because the pressure to say something interesting was gone and I could just mess around with words.

The results were less than useless though

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
yeah thats a self defeating script you are running its like saying lifting weights will just teach you you cant lift weights but that way you will never give yourself to chance to have really big muscles
The thing about lifting weights is there's a relatively simple process to go through to start doing it.

Maybe that's true for poetry too. I think of it more as something you must feel a calling (or less grandiosely) an impulse to do. And otherwise you shouldn't be doing it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
No sadly these are things I (weakly) wrestle with on a daily basis. I just like airing them out here because you will listen and commiserate.

I think quite a lot of people on dissensus (not all) are frustrated or infertile artists.