LRB succession

sufi

lala
it definitely represents a particular narrow strand of bourgeois intellectual cultural space and must be quietly deeply influential
any haters? @luka you never read it?

luka

very rarely. ive never bought it. i know someone who got into the habit of stealing it from M&S for a little while.

sufi

lala
my pick would usually be something glossier or maybe a capitalist mag like wired or economist, folded casually under my arm as i stroll nonchalantly out of whsmiths, but i'd nick an lrb from marks and sparks - which m&s sells lrb though?

luka

you dont need to do fare dodging now theres no dodging involved you just go anywhere you want for free. all the M&S do the LRB

sufi

lala
you dont need to do fare dodging now theres no dodging involved you just go anywhere you want for free. all the M&S do the LRB
is it? no m&s round here. i also lost my most basic shopping skills, repeatedly walking away from the robot checkout in distraction without paying,
2 x in co-op and again in tesco on wednesday, not even deliberately

pondering whether the digital shopper at the co-op checkout screen is cgi me

jenks

thread death
I’ve been a subscriber for about 15 years now. And no it’s not schoolboy essays. Well not all/most of it. But I get that it might not suit everyone’s taste.However, it’s still the only place in this country for the long form essay and for that it should be championed. One day @craner will finally grace its pages.

luka

It is school essays.

No it's not school essays.

It is school essays.

It is school essays.

It is school essays.

sufi

lala
Owen graduated from here to there,
The rationalists publish a mag which Nina and Dave s worked on or was it the humanists
I’ve been a subscriber for about 15 years now. And no it’s not schoolboy essays. Well not all/most of it. But I get that it might not suit everyone’s taste.However, it’s still the only place in this country for the long form essay and for that it should be championed. One day @craner will finally grace its pages.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm a subscriber to it and I occasionally delve into the online archives. Would appreciate any recommendations from current or past issues in here.

sufi

lala
I'm a subscriber to it and I occasionally delve into the online archives. Would appreciate any recommendations from current or past issues in here.
My recommendation is you don't need a subscription to get into the online archives, their paywall is trivially easy to bypass

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Well I like to financially support them anyway tbh i don't really get why people would beef with it but then again I'm politically naive

sufi

lala
Me too, it's bananas that they rebuilt their website recently and failed to sort it out (as well as making it slower by cramming loads of crappy wordpress java script in it 😡) but I've appreciated that when I didn't have a subscription
Well I like to financially support them anyway tbh i don't really get why people would beef with it but then again I'm politically naive