Benny B's Nursing Home Gramaphone Listening Club

IdleRich

IdleRich
Probably getting some revenge by stealing from collectors on the internet - after all the book is really about white guys stealing culture (and more) from black people or something.

Benny Bunter

This bone chiller from 1930 was rescued from obscurity from that Robert Crumb documentary.

Lord, the last kind words
I heard my daddy say

If I die, if I die in the German war
I want you to send my body,
Send it to my mother, Lord

If I get killed, if I get killed,
Please don't bury my soul
I prefer just leave me out,
Let the buzzards eat me whole

Benny Bunter

Country man moves to the big city, amps up and takes over. This record sharpened up the blues and kicked it into the modern era. Muddy brought plenty of the Delta with him, but this is unmistakeably urban music. For my money this is the best blues record ever, he's just got the coolest voice and the slide guitar stings.

Muddy Waters - I Can't be Satisfied (1948)

luka

slide guitar stings

This is another one you can slot into 'The History of Recorded Music as the history of addictive sound effects'

Benny Bunter

slide guitar stings

This is another one you can slot into 'The History of Recorded Music as the history of addictive sound effects'
Definitely. Along with that muddy waters one, this is the other big electric slide guitar blues record that got copied a million times by the stones etc. I've tried listening to other Elmore James stuff and they all sound exactly the same, so all you really need is this.

EDIT: Theres actually an acoustic version of this he recorded much earlier in 1951, for comparison

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

This is obviously very well known because of Nirvana covering it, and I must admit I first heard of Leadbelly from a Kurt Cobain interview. I could have chosen another more obscure Leadbelly to try and be cool but it has to be this one - it's every bit as haunting and creepy as devil got my woman or dark was the night. This version is from the mid 40s but the song itself is much, much older than that.

Where did you sleep last night

Benny Bunter

Not pre 1960s, but I just recently discovered this incredible footage of RL Burnside playing unaccompanied at a Saturday night 'honky tonk' party in Mississippi, 1974.

It's well worth posting here because it really gives you a sense of how a lot of country blues worked as minimal hypnotic dance music. No drums are required. Burnside just stays on one chord and absolutely smashes it.

catalog

Beautiful stuff, for so many reasons. The dancing, the hats, the body shapes.

Reminds me of this all time classic which is well worth a watch if you've not seen it. Although off topic even more I suppose.

william_kent

@Benny B - have you read this?

Stephen Calt - I'd Rather Be the Devil: Skip James and the Blues

an amazing biography, a devastating put down of the blues collector scene, an intimate memoir of a fan's association with a blues man,the realisation that sometimes a musical genius might be a complete shit of a human being...

highly recommended, one of the best "music biographies' I have ever read...

G.H.

Now I've not been here in years but what a treasure trove this was! Spent the last fews hours deep in amongst it. Few a knew but mostly new gold.

Amazing stuff! Keep it going!