The Greatest Record Cover Auteurs

sufi

lala
3499.jpg

Roger Dean and Rodney Mathews
quite similar styles, me and Matt's mate Matt's older brother Rhodri had lots of the posters when we were little ones - he was a west country metaller as you might expect

7b9730ca22104554414243f5442f4c91.jpg
4019b9c4dc2c4d830743f3fb24b911f0.jpg

02RODNEY_MATTHEWS__Time_Tells_no_Lies.jpg

sufi

lala
but personally i loved vaughan oliver's stuff for 4ad
needs no intro, his work was crucial in establishing the 4ad house style
Vaughan-Oliver-Montage.jpg

there's a good interveiw with him on the 4d website iirc
glad i didnt see it back in the day or the mystique would have evaporated

IdleRich

IdleRich
I like that they're sort of 'naif', but not in an affected or twee way, which that sort of art can easily be.

It's just occurred to me that 'naif' is only one letter away from 'naff'...
I love those covers, some of them have the ink seeming like it's just been put on, still looking wet or even smudged at times.

Leo

kind of cool when an artist goes through a time when all their record covers are part of a series, variations on a style/theme. Iron Maiden an obvious one, variations of "Eddie". A number of Buzzcocks LPs and singles are rooted in a similar aesthetic.

catalog

Those Principe covers are all individually hand painted I think. I've still not bought any of them, which is a travesty really considering how much I like them. I've no easy way to play vinyl is one of the issues. And my favourite got sold out.

But he's churning them out.

His flyers for "Noite Principe" at music box are also really good:

artworks-000207152331-d183ur-t500x500.jpg

noite-p-dez-20161.jpg

noite-principe_outubro-2012.jpg

If I lived in Lisbon I'd be collecting these like I collect posters and flyers for thd white hotel nights, which also tend to be really good and have their own house style:

uk-1004-1169698-front.jpg

DJsQ5sgWsAAVBc4

uk-1017-1428027-0-front.jpg

Dm47DULWwAAHktc

Damo_1494343940_crop_550x754.jpg

Woebot

3499.jpg

Roger Dean and Rodney Mathews
quite similar styles, me and Matt's mate Matt's older brother Rhodri had lots of the posters when we were little ones - he was a west country metaller as you might expect

7b9730ca22104554414243f5442f4c91.jpg
4019b9c4dc2c4d830743f3fb24b911f0.jpg

02RODNEY_MATTHEWS__Time_Tells_no_Lies.jpg
bit of a roger dean resource here:

could do with breaking out

catalog

Oh yeah Linder! I used to live really near the bridge where she and Moz used to walk, and which is now covered in Moz tribute graf. Different bridge to the Joy Division one.

She curated this really good exhibition at Nottingham Contemporary a few years ago

Had some really good pieces by Ithell Colquhoun and Penny Slinger, plus Mike Kelley and others, which I saw for the first time.

And her son Maxwell Sterling is mates with James Ferraro, they had him and the "Death of Rave" crew doing a live night of music in the gallery - couldn't go unfortunately.

He's got a new album out on Rough Trade as it happens, this is the lead single: