Has ketamine ever directly influenced musical styles?

nonseq

The Chemical Brothers 'Lost In The K-Hole' off 'Dig Your Own Hole'
Placebo 'Special K' off 'Black Market Music'

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
minikomi said:
im waiting for straight-step ... X'd up hands and militant beats!

I'm sort of surprised there hasn't been a DnB straight edge crew that I've ever heard of... tho I have known some straight edge kids who liked DnB more than any other kind of electronic music.

gdw

ketamine music = hardcore techno / gabba / jungle

or at least this was the case 5 or more years ago when the london squat party scene was full of blank eyed zombies with white snot dribbling from their nostrils.

music that will penetrate the general sense of detachment / displacement that k induces and make even the most paralytic limbs flail around...

michael

Bring out the vacuum
stelfox said:
apparently the whole of villalobos's last album is an ode to ketamine.

Um, maybe a different K, if you're meaning 'The Au Harem d'Archimede'. I read that that album is all aborted attempts to complete his recent remix of the KLF. So it's basically all the attempted mixes minus the KLF bits.

I read it on some blog:
My friend Tobias sent me the following translated excerpt. This is Ricardo Villalobos explaining how he made his new album, The Au Harem d'Archimede, to Tobias Thomas in the German magazine Spex:

Villalobos: "I got this offer by The KLF to do a remix and I picked What Time Is Love. But whenever I tried to integrate the melody I was stuck. So I recorded it just for me, in a 20-minute session, without arrangement. It went on for a year like this, I tried and tried to get this remix done. And then I had it and my hard disk crashed. I was desperate but then I thought: I still have the DATs with ten tracks on them, a unified whole. All these tracks that belong together, Villalobos-music with KLF taken out of it. That's how this record was created."

tryptych

waiting for a time
gdw said:
ketamine music = hardcore techno / gabba / jungle

or at least this was the case 5 or more years ago when the london squat party scene was full of blank eyed zombies with white snot dribbling from their nostrils.

music that will penetrate the general sense of detachment / displacement that k induces and make even the most paralytic limbs flail around...

I think it is still like this, from people I know who are into that scene, but my information is probably about a year old.

What I'm interested in though, is do any of the people on that scene aknowledge K as an influence on their music? Are they trying to make music for people on ketamine, or are they just trying to make hard music for people who like to get fucked up on e/k/coke whatever?

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
spackb0y said:
I think it is still like this, from people I know who are into that scene, but my information is probably about a year old.

What I'm interested in though, is do any of the people on that scene aknowledge K as an influence on their music? Are they trying to make music for people on ketamine, or are they just trying to make hard music for people who like to get fucked up on e/k/coke whatever?

I'm not involved in that scene any more (obviously as I now live three thousand miles away) but when I was going out on the squat party scene (from about 98 to 2000) a lot of the acid techno people (the Liberators, Lawrie Immersion, Dave the Drummer, The Geezer, etc etc etc) would be perroperly messed up on ketamine, just like a lot of other people at the parties. Lots of records that were released would reference ketamine (for instance Immersion did a track called 'Two Lines of K and a Bag of Brown' on Routemaster), and it definitely had an influence on the development of that particular sound, as it went from ravier acid techno-trance to gloomier hard techno.

spackb0y said:
^ Definately.

I don't really get the techno thing... K seems to make most dance sound more watery and washed out - the thud of the 4/4 gets lost. Maybe that's just me though...

you tend to get that effect when the music's echoing off the walls/floor/roof of a big fuckoff warehouse anyway. often everything just turns to a big swirling wash of sound if you're not stood directly in front of the rig...

Badmarsh said:
LOL. I know most dubstep heads dont take drugs...mainly bun the buddah...and loads of it...forward is full of stoners...thats where the sonic quality comes from.

mind you seeing dmz on ket would be hilarious!

I would have thought the void-like sub/bass of dubstep would work brilliantly with a nice bit of k. The syncopated rhythms might not be quite so easily digested though....

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
K has been and always has been the crap rave drug. It has never inspired any music . Speed, E , Weed, Booze, Acid &Shrooms are largely to blame for any influence on music. i speak as one who helped K'd punters across the stream at the 2000 exodus free festival, not a pretty sight. Any speeding/darkening of music is from speed/weed me thinks.

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
I would have thought the void-like sub/bass of dubstep would work brilliantly with a nice bit of k. The syncopated rhythms might not be quite so easily digested though....

The mixes previously known as devil mixes then? :)

ok, heres a game.. name 3 drugs, and 3 movements/styles/tracks which are 'perfect' for them.