william_kent

Some of those old websites kill your eyes, but they're simultaneously more visually appealing than the stuff we have atm.

imagine at 6 am, smoking weed, in a "business centre", strip lighting, smoking weed, moss side, in a business centre, not the first, but one of the first ISPs, "freeserve" stole our business model, all night quake, "surfing the web"....

i miss those mornings, red eyed, sun destroying what was left of eyesight when we stumbled out into the dawn after 8 hours FFA

only to go home and some dude bookended by some bleached whales would ask" you want some white?" while I waved my "fob" around the front door to my block

william_kent

I've been a bit coy, but at one point I did run what could be described as the first internet cafe in the UK

# bragging

ask me at teh nest great dissensud meetup...

bed, now, ffs

linebaugh

before rotten there was 'portal of evil'

I used to check that one daily, one day I broke down in tears of laughter when I saw the chairman of the board where I was working featured on the front page, and when the cleaners arrived I was all like "wait until you see this!" - oh, did we laugh

edit: but I was conflicted as, although I wanted to laugh, which I did, part of me really admired him for living out his fetish with seemingly no guilt, like he has a "thing" and he expresses it 100%, no shame on his part, even to the extent of making a website and documenting it with photos and stuff, and I have to admit I did admire his nerve at posting his extremely niche interest online - but that was made the old internet great!
What was he doing?

version

I like the slight raggedness of some of the older threads on here, like the first post of the Ed Dorn thread. The links don't have thumbnails, the layout of the posts is a bit all over the place, some of the formatting doesn't work anymore. Remnants of an earlier Dissensus.

william_kent

I used to hang out with some guys from PHUK ( Phreakers Hackers UK ) and one of them told me about how Captain Crunch, the legendary phreaker, got a little bit "tired and emotional" at a get together and passed out on a couch, and then "someone' ( i.e., the guy who told me this story ) produced a sharpie and emblazoned "PWNED" on his forehead

I also liked the story they liked to tell about how they gained control of the Vodafone HQ and changed the login prompt on all the office PCs and servers to "VODAOWNED"

edit: another PHUK flashback.... on a night out clubbing with these guys in September 2001 one of them told me the first thing he did on the 11th was check that his "pentagon login was still working" ( it was )

edit: allegedly

edit: there was also a "funny" story about selling credit card numbers to the "triads" but that might be a little too sensitive to post on a public forum

edit: i should shut up now, either that or just blabbermouth on the "snitch" thread

version

Had a look at a couple of "small web" sites and they're cool, but less exciting than they'd been made out to be. One was hosted on a Raspberry Pi from someone's home and had only a handful of users who were mostly discussing technical stuff to do with running it and lamenting the state of the "clearnet". That, and a few of them were banging the free speech drum re: Russell Brand...

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I had a look at a couple of "small web" sites and they're cool, but less exciting than they've been made to sound. One was hosted on a Raspberry Pi from someone's home and had only a handful of users who were mostly discussing technical stuff to do with running the site and lamenting the state of the "clearnet" / mainstream internet. That, and a few of them were banging the free speech drum discussing Russell Brand...
Theres actually a trend in the dweb/web3 "social industry" (IE developers and fellow nerds who want to create better social media experiences) toward what is called the "cosy web" which essentially is niche community-based social circles. Sorta like reddits/etc but with more of an emphasis on communal governance and self-sovereign ownership of content (IE rather than twitter owning the tweets).