Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah I totally forgot about BSC. They could be second place in DeFi after Ethereum, but don't quote me on that. Pancakeswap, etc.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I'm doing this course for Solidity. Free, and very well made.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I'm much more of a passive investor, a hodler. If you're comfortable with custodial lending platforms, I'd recommend Nexo and Celsius. That Nazarov keynote gets into their collaboration with Celsius.

Or if you want to avoid the more centralized arrangements, I use Exodus as a wallet interface for staking ALGO, ATOM, and XTZ/Tezos, and I use Yoroi as wallet interface for staking ADA. Small bags, but direct participation in the respective blockchains. Got to vote on a Cosmos proposition a while back, may have missed a couple since then out of negligence.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Exodus and Yoroi are both non-custodial, but I haven't tried recovering my Yoroi-mediated wallet on another wallet interface though. No problems with either Yoroi or Exodus, and you get the passive income (via staking) while still upholding pure crypto ethos, for what that may be worth to you.

Less risk than the lending platforms too, see as those are custodial.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
But really I don't have a problem with the centralized platforms like Coinbase. For most people, that is probably safer than having to keep a recovery phrase safe in some drawer or something. Alas, it also makes regulation more convenient, which again I'm more or less in favor of.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
There are definitely low-risk ways to navigate the space, they just aren't as foregrounded or facilitated enough, which makes sense seeing as culture of this development is largely one of financial sovereignty.

Certainly is a flashy space though, visually and conceptually. Plenty of mediocre copycat marketing with the big buzzwords like "scalable" and "decentralized", aimed at taking advantage of the lack of understanding the current investor base is demonstrating.

And the fact that these markets are global and 24/7 does give it a sort of hyperactive status, compared to the traditional scheduling. Plenty of users on r/crypto sharing how often they check their portfolio, and how it becomes an obsession, even when it is just the few dollars worth of crypto you get from Coinbase quizzes.

Some corners of this space are pure, glutinous insanity, people aiming really low to trick some naive investor into sending away their crypto, etc. And no one yet, really, to report this stuff to. But certainly that is on its way in.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
There are certainly ways to go about crypto that are indistinguishable from gambling, like some of the jokecoins and the tokens sponsored by TikTok influencers.

On the other hand, some of these cases have communities that really embrace whatever jokecoin its built around, and I would say this has its own value, so long as people aren't being taken advantage of financially.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Where there is a total absence of technical evidence (tiktok), or at most a miming of buzzwords.

Rather than at the other end of the spectrum which is a cascade of new terms and concepts and rapid technical progress.

Also just starting to learn about zero-knowledge proofs and ZK-Snarks, which are ostensibly breakthrough techniques in cryptography, and which may factor into next-generation blockchains by more efficiently delegating computation across networks. (edit: while also keeping certain critical personal data private).

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
The common warning given which applies to more than just crypto is "Don't invest more than you can afford to lose." which is a good axiom, but one will only "lose" it if they are scammed, if they make some kind of avoidable mistake, or if they sell when they are down.

For me, it boils down to "don't invest more than you can afford to forget about", which in certain ways is saying the same thing, that this is money that shouldn't be relied on for living expenses. But I think this phasing sets a better expectation.

If you sold at the dip, was it because the money was needed? If so, then it was too much to begin with.

If you didn't sell out of necessity, did you sell because of fear/doubt? I guess that just depends on what timeframe and strategy one is employing. If you believe in the tech, and understand it enough to believe in it, then it might make it easier to go through the dips and even the flash crashes.

If the onus of investor protection is still on the investors themselves, one needs some degree of technical literacy to sort away the fools gold.

But there are also cases where good faith developers may get ahead of themselves in terms of concept, and base too much of the value proposition on potential future developments, rather than what exists and what works at the moment.