Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
what makes you think it's non-dystopian? that is certainly not my impression
The dystopian possibilities revolve around having your every financial maneuver rendered publicly visible, the utopian possibilities are largely about having such data be practically uncensorable by would-be central authorities.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Also, I'd say just the fact that all this data would be publicly auditable would be an end in itself, aside from whether or not such integration actually benefits all these apps in the manner of a network effect.

vimothy

yurp
The dystopian possibilities revolve around having your every financial maneuver rendered publicly visible, the utopian possibilities are largely about having such data be practically uncensorable by would-be central authorities.
even taking this at face value, what's to stop central authorities from using this technology to create a kind of financial panopticon?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
They would need to outlaw alternatives to a CBDC, which, seeing as these stablecoins operate globally, would seem to require an intergovernmental effort to achieve. But if they could outlaw stablecoins, and phase out credit cards and other non-crypto payment sources, a panopticon could be forced into existence.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
The current stablecoins don't require identity verification to use, so they aren't a panopticon. A CBDC may conceivably involve such regulations, and could associate ones on-chain financial activity with ones legal activity, which currently is only a piecemeal status quo, i.e. only certain platforms are required to enforce Know Your Client / Anti-Money Laundering procedures.