Definition of Rockism

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
owen said:
totally agree with this- the notion that these battles have been 'won' can be disproved by a cursory reading of the NME, or a viewing of top of the pops, or a visiting of any given pub or university...

Yes, university students have always been a militantly reactionary group, but they used to content themselves with keeping the Glitter Band and Tenpole Tudor in work. Now their tastes dictate the pop cultural agenda to an unprecedented degree.

I think ppl are confusing two levels here, the level of intelligent criticism and the level of popcultural consumption (with its implicit critical values). At the level of intelligent criticism (this obv excludes most anything printed, especially in the broadsheets or the press-release hackery of the NME) rockism is a dead duck; but in terms of consumption, rockist values are still alive, well and prospering. The fact that intelligent criticism has limited impact upon the second level is itself a part of the problem. Let's not forget that what drives rockism is the industry, and what it perceives to bemarketable.

mms

sometimes
k-punk said:
Yes, university students have always been a militantly reactionary group, but they used to content themselves with keeping the Glitter Band and Tenpole Tudor in work. Now their tastes dictate the pop cultural agenda to an unprecedented degree.

its this and many other factors, being popular in a mainstream rock act is just about following some standard procedures of acceptance based on pr, focus groups and massive advertising budgets, its all about the nod on to the hierachis of radio playlists and bollocks like that.
of course you need the students affections first off before you can do this , then the cold machinations start to slowly role into shape, and the nods from the popularising gatekeepers are either there or not.

Tim F

Re John Kerry and whether there is a split in the relevance of "autenticity" b/w culture and politics:

Surely the common thread here is a <i>capacity to convince</i> - it's not like Dubya's antics are any less media-managed than Kerry's were, but he is much more <i>convincing</i> in his downhome swagger than Kerry ever is. It's not a case of him being more authentically "of the people", but that his strategy for presenting himself as such is much more effective. The people are more likely to suspend their disbelief; with Kerry, what is so irritating is how flimsy his strategy is, how forced and obvious and see-through it is.

Of course, one can actually be genuine and honest as a politician, but this is only one limited tool for inspiring belief among the populace, not the be all and end all. And if we were to divide politicians into groups, it would certainly not be into categories of "genuine/honest" and "ingenuine/dishonest" - for who on earth would go into the first category? And how would we ever know?

Re gabba - Simon the "rockist" values you find in gabba are only the rockist values you put in it! Sure it's possible and even exceedingly useful to discuss gabba using Carduccian language, but what Carducci actually <i>agree</i> with you? Never in a million years.

blissblogger

owen said:
totally agree with this- the notion that these battles have been 'won' can be disproved by a cursory reading of the NME, or a viewing of top of the pops, or a visiting of any given pub or university...

yeah but nme's got a circulation of 71 thousand now -- at its height it was 250 thousand and with a pass-on 3 or 4 readers per copy the total readership was one million -- i doubt if the pass-on rate is anything like that today... 71 thousand is nothing like hegemony... seems to me if anything is hegemonic it's a sort of 'i like a bit of everything' non commital approach, with beyonce liked as much as white stripes liked as much as... what you guys are calling rockism is like the dwindling half-lives of something that's spent, lost all self-belief or vigour

the thing about all that Coldplay type music is it may or may not be 'rockist' but it's not rock in the carduccian sense of rocking, it's like guitar-vapour music

Tim F

Carducci's brand of rockism is so specific and self-conscious that it deserves to be bracketed off from rockism proper: Carducci has a mission, whereas someone like Derogatis probably thinks he's spelling out the obvious when he says Avril is bad but more defensible than other pop music b/c Avril co-writes her songs (nevermind the fact that most pop singers have enough internalised anxiety about this that they feel the need to contribute to the writing process anyway - Avril ain't unique in this at all). The Derogatis (or NME) model is much more irritating than Carducci by virtue of its complacent blandness.

The disagreeable component of Carducci's approach - the valorisation of frequently-pretty-trad live hard rock above any other kind of music - is a cover for a very sympathetic addiction to intensity and affect. I see yr current vaguely post-Carduccian approach Simon as basically removing the disagreeable component (ie. the <i>rockist</i> component, or alternatively, the <i>legislative component</I> which states that energy can only be generated in certain ways) so that the core argument can be applied more widely. But this core argument is not what anti-rockism takes issue with: it is, rather, the warping prejudices of its articulation, which erroneously assumes that the things Carducci likes in rock are <i>inescapably</i> linked to certain aspects of the process of rock's creation. Talking about grime or gabba in Carduccian terms is not automatically rockist because the shared resemblances are outside rock's traditional terms of reference - ie. one can speak about a Carduccian "live energy" in relation to a grime radio set or a gabba rave, but in doing so "live energy" is drained of its rock inflection - indeed, the very concept of "live" becomes amorphous when referring to dance music pouring from banks of speakers, or listening to MCs freestyling over DJ-deployed tracks on your car stereo (or internet realplayer!). What is left is "energy", and its manifestation is indeterminate, with various levels of "presence" and physical engagement for both the performer and the audience.

It also means that the generation of energy becomes much more spontaneous and unpredictable. Of course a rock band performing live might, because of its very rockness and liveness, generate an enormous level of excitement, but this is not the only or even the <i>best practice</i> model, and it can also result in a lot of very boring music. Instead, it is clear that the energy we look for is produced by a whole number of contingent factors coming together in a manner that frequently appears magical; the focus of the critic's investigation should be how the strategy of the music <i>harnesses</i> those factors. eg. in the case of a Carduccian rock band, how does it produce its internally cohesive live friction and transform this into a rushing bacchanial rock music? In the case of a gabba track, how does it deploy particular riffs, bass sounds, drum tones and novelty samples to enslave the dancers?

soundslike1981

Some seem to be arguing it's certain sonic/aesthetic/presentation qualities which make something rockist; others certain means of production; and others certain motivations for making/listning to music. Anti-rockism comes off as essentially reactionary and diffuse, arguing against these qualities/means/motivations, but with no alternate values to make it seem any less solipsitic--another "ism".

I can see the worth in a concept like "rockism" to describe certain strains of the "Rock" mythology, the commercial sphere, praise of mediocrity, etc. But I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be worth discussing "antirock-ism" as much as "anti-rockism," the former being essentially rockism with the "rock" part replaced by any other genre/mode/myth preference.

If the discussion of "rockism" is about something larger than a distaste for rock itself; if it's about more than supplanting one narrow ism with another; if it aims to get at issues are have musically and socially pressing, then perhaps the term "rockism" should be abandoned (or relegated to a smaller definition). If "rockism" describes detrimental, even dangerous and limiting ways of creating/hearing/criticising/marketing music, perhaps the meaning deserves a less limited term. Even if you find "rock music" to be the best example of these musical failings, it is surely not the only, and by focusing on the example rather than the ideas exemplified, a more productive debate may be impeded.

With that in mind, I'd say both of the definitions proposed at the start of this thread have merit and accurately describe potential "isms"--but they aren't in competition, they're different ideas: and neither seems particularly married to "rock". "Authenticism" seems like a worthwhile term. "Genreism" also describes a potential shortcoming. As I don't yet fully understand the negatives attributed to "Rockism" (much less the positives purportedly advanced by anti-Rockism) I'm not in a position to come up with a term that somehow encompasses all of them. But I do agree that many interesting and problematic issues have been raised in this (and other) discussions of the current term, and they deserve to be addressed directly, without falling back on "reverse" aesthetic/social bigotry ("antirock-ism").

Using the term "rockism" to describe something larger than the particular failings of rock music is like using the (made-up) term "whiteism" to describe all racism, simply because at the moment white people tend to be in positions of power and privilege (granting extra effectivity to their racism).

Last edited:

Elan

Blackbird
Quote: Let's not forget that what drives rockism is the industry, and what it perceives to be marketable.

I was listening to the radio this morning, flipping the dial between the 'classic' rock station (Q107) and the 'alternative' one (102.1 The Edge)and found them both talking about the Live8 lineup for Toronto and how lame it was & I realized there's the classic rockism and the alternative rockism; both come down to a disliking of anything beyond a certain narrow genre of music. The only band played on both stations: U2. The alternative station is a lot more adventurous than the Mighty Q, a station that is so static it's almost like a museum ('long live rock, be it dead or alive', should be their motto). The other thing these stations have in common is a lack of female artists on their playlists - I feel is it obvious to say that rockism is a male thing, defined by and dominated by men...and yeah, Springsteen is the gold standard (which reminds me - anti-rockist places: karaoke bars and Starbucks, who will sell the acoustic Jagged Little Pill but not the Boss's newest album).

blissblogger

Rachel Verinder said:
Wasn't '88 blissout guitar vapourisation always doomed to end in/end up as Coldplayism?

it's true that neither AR Kane or Coldplay are rock bands in the Carduccian sense but to draw a straight and fatal line from one to the other seems erroneous -- Coldplay et al owe far more i think to a different 80s pseudo-rock forebear -- the Daniel Lanois way of making records

soundslike1981

Perhaps this particular little flame of a thread is best left in embers. But. . .

I really think blissblogger's recently posted interview with Mr. Green (Scritti) gets at a *lot* of what seems to me useful and what seems to me limiting about this rockist/anti-rockist/antirock-ist/authenticist/genreist discussion. As well as getting at. . . a means of rejecting (or at least heavily problematising) "authenticity" whilst genuinely enjoying meaning in music, or at least not avoiding it. That is to say, there was an earnest attempt at presenting values, even committed beliefs, without treading with the heavy boot of dogma (either musical or philosophical). And it's this post-deconstructivist construction that feels missing from the thoroughly negativistic anti-rockist/antirock-ist "side" of the debate (though I think we'd agree this particular manifestation, here on this board, has lacked any real examples of the purported rockist point of view--perhaps any problematising negates rockism?).

Plus, it's just really heartening to hear Green discussing this period/these ideas without sounding so. . . dour and reflexively dismissive. I must admit, I'm not a fan of his post '82 work, so I've always been a bit biased against his apparent latter-days biases. But this leaves me more convinced that naive as they might've been in the day-to-day-living sense, the post-punkers were onto something central to what makes music more than just good, and gets on toward being beautiful and important.

Well done indeed, Mr. Reynolds.

http://www.simonreynolds.net/interview-green-p1.php

Tim F

Ian yr issues w/ anti-rockism have been raised before in other contexts. I don't say that to dismiss them but rather to note that these arguments have been fleshed out to some extent:

- of course the values of "rockism" are not intrinsically linked to rock music, and it's possible to be "rockist" in regard to other forms of music.

- many consequently argue that it's distracting and even deceptive to use the term "rockism", which seems to imply that rock itself is the primal cause of rockism, when in fact the role of rock here is more accidental and contingent, a placeholder signifier of stuffy conservatism merely by dint of its social prominence for a certain historical period. Instead, these people argue, we should restrict ourselves to speaking of authenticity, which can exist (or be alleged to exist) in all genres of music.

- one counter-argument to this is that to collapse discussions of rockism into discussions of authenticity necessarily erases the specificity of much rockist discourse, which does not merely import wholesale the concept of authenticity but also shapes and moulds this concept for its own purposes. It ignores the fact that when we speak of <i>authenticity in music</i>, we tend to do so in a way that privileges the <i>expression of authenticity in rock</i>.

- After all, even among people who value authenticity there are fundamental disagreements as to what it is comprised of in any particular genre. Many rock fans <i>and</i> hip hop fans would dispute hip hop's claims to be keeping it real by talking about gun culture and drug dealing. Perhaps, such people argue, authenticity in hip hop sbould require a more "honest" and "full" spectrum of stories and human emotions (e.g grief) and a rejection of gangsta/playa/booty idioms. On ILM the valorisation of "mature" hip hop is referred to a bit jokingly as "Pete Rockism" - this to reflect the fact that its application is specific to hip hop, but its understanding of what authenticity is comes straight from rock music and is asserted over and against the concept of authenticity expressed in the majority of hip hop. In truth, both concepts of authenticity arise not from some actual authentic existence, but rather from contrasting <i>articulations</i> of existence - for, if we are to claim that hip hop's obsession with guns and drugs is not "real", we can hardly say anything different of rock's obsession with love, teenage rebellion and existential angst. Perhaps we should talk rather of <i>styles of existence</i> as expressed through music, and assess these styles not for their authenticity but rather for their vividness, their impact, their insight....

- What we can see from this is a proliferation of both <i>rockisms</i> and incommensurate models of authenticity, all impliedly denying the existence of the others. If we are to insist on the centrality and importance of authenticity it is merely a logical step to become dogmatic in the enforcement of our particular brand of "rockism" (and hence authenticity) (as, really, there is no real use to the concept of authenticity <i>if not</i> to distinguish between the real and the pretenders). It's clear however, that the very concept of authenticity in relation to a piece of music (or, more broadly, a style of music) is largely a product of its <i>articulation in that particular instance</i>. The ability of the music to <i>mean something</i> is a direct consequence of its success in living up to its particular style's co-ordinates of meaning, it's style of existence. Meaning, as such, is a stylistic trick. And that includes the "style" of Marxist post-punk.

- But by this I am not saying that meaning <i>doesn't exist</i>. Rather, I'm saying that meaning is something <i>created by</i> the music and not some <i>external property</i> to which the music acts as some sort of conduit. Meaning is a creation of all our acts, and in this music is on neither a higher nor a lower plane of creativity. Music shouldn't <i>reflect</i> truth, it should <i>create</i> it...

soundslike1981

I'm not certain I was arguing anything too different from what you've said, but thanks for "fleshing it out" a bit. Except, perhaps, with this bit:

- one counter-argument to this is that to collapse discussions of rockism into discussions of authenticity necessarily erases the specificity of much rockist discourse, which does not merely import wholesale the concept of authenticity but also shapes and moulds this concept for its own purposes. It ignores the fact that when we speak of authenticity in music, we tend to do so in a way that privileges the expression of authenticity in rock.

I find it hard to imagine that more direct discussion of the root "evils" of "rockism"--with terms which cut more directly to the chase--could lead to any less specificity, or more ambiguity, than the current debate. The above smacks slightly of a rationalisation of the continued burning of the strawman (boys'n'guitars, or whatever), with an implied counter-privileging of another genre/mode. To say that a discussion of authenticity in music tends to privilege the expression of authentic qualities, whatever those may be within a given frame (whether defined by the critic or implied in the music itself), seems accurate. The "specific" tethering to "rock" seems a step back from creating a more precisely and flexibly applicable tool for diffusing the "evils" at hand; or from moving on to advocacy of, rather than against, something.

Your next point, in fact, seems to illustrate the oversimplified and clunky semantic utility of "rockism" as the term of choice for getting at the debate.

Not directed to your points alone, but I remain confused about the basis for the apparent assumption that "authenticity" is an inherently false or mythic term, inevitably producing a false consciousness or a dogma. What is the evidence for the charge that it should be thrown out all together? Its potential for mystification, it's "trump card," dead-end potential in musical criticism, seem like valid reasons for problematisation (something that would probably be fostered by the use of a term like "authenticism"). But for abandonment? Is this already a forgone conclusion in the anti-rockist argument?

its understanding of what authenticity is comes straight from rock music and is asserted over and against the concept of authenticity expressed in the majority of hip hop. In truth, both concepts of authenticity arise not from some actual authentic existence, but rather from contrasting articulations of existence

Again I get the sense I've payed attention to the wrong things in "rock," or valued what of it I enjoy for the "wrong" reasons. Authenticity has never been a concern re: that particular genre--I assumed it was understood as implicitly "pretentious," even in its most strident (hardcore, metal, etc.) forms. The romantic or intentionally aloof nature of rock lyrics has always seemed like a tacit admission of the fact that rock was not usually explicitly "saying something" beyond the music, beyond its position as an artefact of some ill-defined marriage of individual artistic ego and a broader musical community. The overt profession of "authenticity" does in fact seem more frequent in just about every other American musical form. As you point out in your discussion of hip-hop, proclamations of "keeping it real" and what that implies are always problematic and dependent on the perspective of the proclaimer. That seems obvious enough. But if this thread is a discussion of the "Definition of Rockism," I think the complexity to which you alude furthers the argument that the very term itself is too loaded and simplistic.

Your last point is one of the best yet in this thread. If "rockism" exists and is cricitally or popularly hegemonic; and it is a musical Objectivism, in which it is a given that a particular genre/place/time/aesthetic ("rock") is inherently better equipped to reflect truth and reality than others, then I see the threat. Perhaps I've been naive in assuming that most claims to "authenticity in music" related more to musical components and derivation within a genre, and not inherent comparisons beyond the confines of genre. I've known very few "purists" who advocate the absolute superiority of "their" kind of music above all others; even people who have preferences usually seem to acknowledge the subjective nature of same. So the idea that meaning is created by music rather than channeled by it; and that the meaning is therefore subjective and local (rather than objective and absolute); seems embedded in the mutability of popular appreciation of music. Popular music is known for its fadishness and turnover more than anything else, dinosaurs like the Rolling Stones not withstanding, no? I mean, when a term like "history" is being applied to something as compressed as roughly 100 years of "popular music," surely we're dealing with something given to change rather than dogmatic rigidity?

Last edited:

Tim F

"I find it hard to imagine that more direct discussion of the root "evils" of "rockism"--with terms which cut more directly to the chase--could lead to any less specificity, or more ambiguity, than the current debate. The above smacks slightly of a rationalisation of the continued burning of the strawman (boys'n'guitars, or whatever), with an implied counter-privileging of another genre/mode."

I should have emphasised that I do agree with this Ian - rockism remains and will always be an ill-fitting, limiting and distorting term for what we're talking about, and it would be great if we could come up with alternate terms that would be less prone to misinterpretation or misuse. <i>At the same time</i> I think there is such a thing as, let's say, "narrow rockism" - ie. a certain set of presumptions about the value of music that really do treat rock as normative (as per Douglas Wolk's recent definition of the term). This can be seen quite clearly in the mainstream media's treatment of the last Outkast album for example (where Big Boi's adherence to hip hop was portrayed as self-limiting and myopic whereas Andre's forays into singing were greeted as liberatory and expansive - this despite the fact that Andre was essentially swapping one set of genre signifiers for another and was if anything becoming <i>more</i> not <i>less</i> derivative stylistically).

More generally, I'm not entirely certain that what we need to do is decide on what the "root" of rockism is in this sense - as if there were some primal cause from which all rockist viewpoints flow. If anything rockism (in the broad, pro-authenticity sense) is an uneasy and at times fractured alliance of different viewpoints which have developed out of different approaches to music. The "root" of a particular brand of "rockism" is thus as likely to be on the surface, in its everyday pronouncements about this music or that music, as it is in some deep-seated philosophical worldview.

"I've known very few "purists" who advocate the absolute superiority of "their" kind of music above all others; even people who have preferences usually seem to acknowledge the subjective nature of same."

But isn't this sort of subjectivism a much more radical position than I'm taking? To say, "oh look don't take my advocacy of this music over that music too seriously, it's just a reflection of my personal tastes" is essentially saying that there is <i>no</i> objectivity in music, that all statements in relation to music are ultimately groundless, that one cannot judge at all... And if this is not the case, if they do think that, no, actually, despite just having a subjective opinion, they are nonetheless right, then this so-called subjectivity is essentially a disclaimer ("all care and no responsibility taken for the legitimacy of my statements about music"), a legal fiction.

"Again I get the sense I've payed attention to the wrong things in "rock," or valued what of it I enjoy for the "wrong" reasons."

What exactly Ian?

i'd like to see someone, perhaps kpunk or tim?, update the rockism page on wikipedia. right now it seems rather incomplete and possibly written by momus.

Rachel Verinder

it's true that neither AR Kane or Coldplay are rock bands in the Carduccian sense but to draw a straight and fatal line from one to the other seems erroneous -- Coldplay et al owe far more i think to a different 80s pseudo-rock forebear -- the Daniel Lanois way of making records

AR Kane + MBV - feedback/drone/AMM puncta + Bobby Vee lonesomeism = early Radiohead x selected vocal stylings of Jeff Buckley ./. The Unforgettable Fire + Leo Sayer = Coldplay

viz. the illusion of consumers that when they listen to fab ace number one third album Be Here Now by Coldplay they're reminded of what they liked when they were 19 and stronger-minded; thus MBV/AR Kane without all the frighten-little-Jack/Chloe elements