Detectorists

sus

My friend was sharing the feted Amazon reviews of Fran Lebowitz and this one is relevant here
And most likely, had The Detectorists not existed I would have smiled faintly at the casual cruelty and mild wit displayed therein and moved on to the next thing that caught my eye. But having watched it, her review make me think about how there are two sides to every story and how much easier it is to generalize and dismiss a group than to take the time to understand it and the people who make it up and to realise that they are not one homogeneous undifferentiated mass. I guess it showed how successful Detectorists had been in doing the latter and how powerful it must have been that I almost felt angry that this snide US intellectual dared be so dismissive of Andy and Lance when she knew nothing about their lives and their hopes and why they chose to use metal detectors to look for buried treasure.
I'm still thinking about this post, months later. It's so sad and needlessly cruel. Why would you write that? What has gone wrong with you, Fran Lebowitz?

sus

Watching S1 I couldn't help but think of Dissensus as the Danebury Metal Detecting Club. Which would make me the ah, "floozy" Sophie, a hotshot from the university archaeology department who against her better judgments develops an affection for the DMDC.