Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Stuff like this (and Carti's "Codeine") is way more out there than most of the autotune stuff I've heard before

An interesting sort-of through line so far is where real emotion sits within it – is it obliterated, or simply distorted and occluded?

WELL, IS IT OR ISN'T IT?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
He talks about how the trauma that mumble rappers are seeking to escape via drugs still exists in the music though

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Saying that what really hit home just now was the idea of poly-drug dissociation which speaks to a sense of (pleasant) emotional dislocation I feel listening to this music which reminds me of times on drugs where its all sensation and sometimes that's fun and sometimes you feel totally empty about it

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Definitely intrigued (As I said elsewhere) to see how he fits uk drill into this argument cos it certainly doesn't occur to me as part of "vocal psychedelica"

Benny Bunter

There is no emotion that's what he's saying, it's sensation over emotion
I like how he uses the hugely symbolic Gully Vs Gaza war to illustrate this - that's where the battle for the future was fought and ultimately won by Kartel.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Are there UK rappers mimicking the US mumble stuff?

I wonder if it's less exportable than trap because it depends on the use of xanax/oxycontin, etc. these more american drugs.

Also the americans I presume have a more heightened sense of unreality than over here.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Kind of annoyed he didn't acknowledge Jay Kay's casting of himself as "the space cowboy" as precursor to all this identity slippage

luka

Are there UK rappers mimicking the US mumble stuff?

I wonder if it's less exportable than trap because it depends on the use of xanax/oxycontin, etc. these more american drugs.

Also the americans I presume have a more heightened sense of unreality than over here.
Yeah loads but it's really embaressing they get those drugs over here for the videos

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I can't really imagine some of those drugs "working" in a country with a mild climate like this.

I connect those drugs in my head with the sweltering South

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Never knew about Vybz Kartel being a controversial anti rastafarian figure

This song, which I used to listen to in my early 20s a lot, makes sense now (it's all about shooting priests)