Roobric

obviously if you're (even relatively) famous it's different, but for a first-time author with basically zero media profile... I would be curious to know how many copies they printed

the main tool for a publicist for a book like this is a questionnaire you make the author fill out where they list all the ways they can promote the book through their connected friends & social media, events they are willing to host (even including them paying for the books in advance which they can sell at a profit, if they're lucky), etc.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
obviously if you're (even relatively) famous it's different, but for a first-time author with basically zero media profile... I would be curious to know how many copies they printed

the main tool for a publicist for a book like this is a questionnaire you make the author fill out where they list all the ways they can promote the book through their connected friends & social media, events they are willing to host (even including them paying for the books in advance which they can sell at a profit, if they're lucky), etc.

What'd your guestimate be for initial printed copies?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
This also explains why a lot of authors say on twitter endorse book piracy, even outside of the constraints of academic paywalling.

Roobric

The questionnaire was standard procedure when I worked at a university press in the 00s. I assume things have only gotten more dire in that world, and I also assume the trade presses are now largely in the same boat

Not sure about print runs these days, but they were steadily declining back then. A few hundred wouldn't surprise me? That said you can print on demand fairly quickly so there's a sort of just-in-time logic to it now (pioneered by Amazon refusing to stock more than ~10 copies of anything)

luka

There's no invocation of contemporaneous acts to Carti like Uzi, Yachty or Trippie Redd beyond perfunctory efforts because... why?
the reason for this is fairly straightforward and it is also the reason why a 'frag-rap' is distinguished from a 'mumblerap' basically he hates yachty, trippie red etc considering them to be 'fecal' artists who wear wallet chains.

luka

Fully agree with third that there's no real "break" to this music, it's all in long traditions. Mystikal, Pampidoo etc.
in any case like this it's possible to point to continuities and trace a lineage you can do it with grime for instance but by doing that you miss what is not just an obvious rupture but a traumatic one which was heard as a visceral howl of pain from millions of rap listeners.