bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
here is the hardcore eclecticist manifesto

And here's the other one, which I feverishly vomited out for a uni assignment:

Hardcore Eclecticism: A Manifesto

Since all cultural time collapsed around the Millenial pivot and the dead weight of histories are piled deep round the door like so much Etruscan-tortured slush, since all subcultural friction subsided to an unprincipled “yeah mate I like Nirvana too” peace, since the disgust/delight dialecticalattice wore down and disintegrated across a newbuild dreamhome carpet of well-appointed/well-upholstered algorithmic vibetech nod-along then: WHAT IS TO BE DONE?

We can’t close the box or get back in the well or get back to the garden and put up the fence. No golden age of purity can be invented or regained, no autarkist wank fantasy of turnip gruel behind castle walls. Mr C knew why they called it THE END. Evolutionary cul-de-sac wallbangers hold sway though, across the festival-industrial-complex the business end of techno, endlessly shaving away at the bone and fucking increasingly pale and sickly cattle hoping to recreate the Aurochs. If you wanna make a centaur you gotta fuck a lotta horses but some of these lads have been sniffing round the paddock far too long.

Conversely though you have the smooth-bollocked dilletantotalitarianism of your Kieran Hebden/Dan Snaith/Floating Points axis: too many surnames not enough setbacks for the Dekmantel nephews or Euan Blair getting sucked off at Secret Garden Party. The festival-industrial complex will squeeze all the varieties of toothpaste it can into that cornmeal trough and the bloat comes and you get that foie gras feeling. Satisfaction at any cost. A levelling, agrobusinesses, endless wheat fields overripe with dessicated husks for any hydrogenation fantasies you might slop forth. You’ll find your own fructose level in time but the thin cotton shirts will wear thinner and thinner and even pastels fade.

Once more I am begging the queue: WHAT IS TO BE DONE? A humble offering then. HARDCORE ECLECTICISM. HOOLIGAN PLUNDERPHONICS. PULP METAMODERNISM. Call it as you will you know it when you hear it. Trax not as melting oxo cube in taste-made boullebaise but as radioactive amulets thrown down in the dust of an unsealed tomb. Dialectical frictions and hyperpolyrhythmic pressure cookin’ up your brain. Ardkore knew the score but it’s not those days anymore and that’s not gonna cut it. Neuromancer dub into the future you know is going to be shit but the travel sickness might shake forth a momentumtary thrill.

Either original vinyl for true acid-mod making it hard on yourself or, if things must be digital, as digital as possible: nothing that can be done with vinyl will be done without vinyl. Deartisanalise digital mixing: the sync button’s there so pile up as many Russians pushing their luck weird bandcamp digs as you can and let’s dissolve. Original vinyl: if you can’t afford it dig for something you can. Honest John’s will not save you in the coming (redacted). As the desperate vulture-encircled denouement of the petrochemical era hoves into view, we will get high off the fumes and (redacted). Make you sure you come incorrect with a mouth full of ball bearings, you’ll know why when it happens.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm an old fashioned one-genre mix man myself but I like these manifestoes

To be fair what me and @bassbeyondreason are doing doesn't really scale to the club as such, it's definitely more about crumbling warehouse industrial spaces. Like, sure, you could probably play our style of mixes in Fabric, but theyd fall flat as a necessity. My approach doesn't have so much to do with punk but more the unhinged chaos of free jazz/scronk noise, and the everything-everything soundworld of Bernard Parmegiani. Gnosticism for godless commies.

It's communalism, but not in the sense that @IdleRich envisages it, more a reabsorbtion and reintegration of late 60s-early 70s acid freakouts, but without the belle bottom flowerpower vibes.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Neither is it strictly about the old futurism of factories with the muscular workman (although that does factor into it) but the hard labour and industrial spaces which constitute the internets underbelly as we know it. If anything it's exactly this vertiginous feeling, that there is too much data contained within digital information for the mind to process.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Where I think the likes of Rustie didn't quite succeed paging @blissblogger is their maximalism operated still according to traditional song structure. Whereas, for me, the dj mix format provides openings for maximalism as process rather than as composition.

It is in this sense that Autechre is still relevant, and AFX is not.

IdleRich

IdleRich
To be fair what me and @bassbeyondreason are doing doesn't really scale to the club as such, it's definitely more about crumbling warehouse industrial spaces. Like, sure, you could probably play our style of mixes in Fabric, but theyd fall flat as a necessity. My approach doesn't have so much to do with punk but more the unhinged chaos of free jazz/scronk noise, and the everything-everything soundworld of Bernard Parmegiani. Gnosticism for godless commies.

It's communalism, but not in the sense that @IdleRich envisages it, more a reabsorbtion and reintegration of late 60s-early 70s acid freakouts, but without the belle bottom flowerpower vibes.
Huh, how do I envisage it? It's not a word I use. Though I actually like what you're saying here so I forgive you.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Huh, how do I envisage it? It's not a word I use. Though I actually like what you're saying here so I forgive you.

I mean it's not necessarily about dancing to 4 hours of house, 2 of funk, 3 of jungle. It's more a stop start way of approaching things. There are precursors, EG: dead by dawn, but I think this is only really an approach which becomes fully unlocked with digital mixing. Even cdjs are limited in this regard (this is where deconstructed club fails.) The point is not to use the loop technology for repetition or BPM shifting (although these are useful tools) but to break the grid.

Hardcore is not a style
It is true that gabber was played at DbD, as were more black metal-tinged sounds - the black-hooded speedcore satanists Disciples of Belial played at the closing party (though it is not true as suggested here that Jason Mendonca of the Disciples was responsible for DbD - I believe he was more involved in another London club, VFM). But DbD was not defined by either of these genres - indeed what separated DbD from many of the other 'noise' clubs was an ongoing critique of all genre limitations: 'Hardcore is not a style... Hardcore is such a sonic weapon, but only as long as it doesn't play by the rules, not even its own rules (this is where Jungle, Gabber etc. fail). It could be anything that's not laid back, mind-numbing or otherwise reflecting, celebrating or complementing the status quo' (Praxis Newsletter 7, 1995).
This meant that DbD DJs played dark jungle for instance, as well as techno, gabber and speedcore, occasionally winding up purists in the process. Sometimes there were live PAs, for example by Digital Hardcore Recording's Berlin breakbeat merchants, Sonic Subjunkies.
Even with gabber itdawn2
was possible to get into a kind of automatic trance setting - after all it was still essentially a 4:4 beat, albeit very fast. The experience of dancing at DbD was more like being on one of those fairground rides which fling you in one direction, then turn you upside down, and shoot off at a tangent with no predicable pattern.

60s soul, 70s bollywood soundtracks, all can fit in this matrix. There is absolutely no opposition to light, joy or the feminin, merely that it has to be epileptically accelerated. This is one thing the happy hardcore kids got right, albeit they got everything else wrong and became victims of their own codification.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Now padraig could say this is parasitic - as he did in the sideways not forwards thread, but I'd argue that if we wanted to push that point to its limit, versioning in dub reggae is inherently based upon living labour being dominated by dead labour. This is why I am eagerly awaiting Mackintosh man to write a self-crit of Reynolds, but within the very Reynoldsian tradition itself, rather than as someone who opposes the ayatollah.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Cool but I just wondered why you put my names as though that was some idea I had. Still you got me reading it though so...

IdleRich

IdleRich
But I don't see this in any opposition to that. The question was really "what do I do with music style x" and I don't think Third Form has any problems answering that.

version

I mean it's not necessarily about dancing to 4 hours of house, 2 of funk, 3 of jungle. It's more a stop start way of approaching things. There are precursors, EG: dead by dawn, but I think this is only really an approach which becomes fully unlocked with digital mixing. Even cdjs are limited in this regard (this is where deconstructed club fails.) The point is not to use the loop technology for repetition or BPM shifting (although these are useful tools) but to break the grid.
I'm intrigued by what I read about those old Dr. Dre tapes being so densely stacked with tunes, "lasagne-style":

"The main thing about the tapes is that there were so many jams crammed onto even one side of each mix, and only a small number of the main bulk of the tracks were actually listed on the covers. 4-track mixtapes back then were the next level of listening and mixing capability, with layers and layers of tracks lasagne-style on top of each other, for the time, technically on some next shit… "

That's vertical rather than horizontal though.

blissblogger

steering it back to promoting Kit's work ;)

me and the boy wonder are chatting tomorrow (well, we chatted last week but it's "airing" tomorrow) on Repeater Radio -
8 pm UK / 3 pm East Coast / noon West Coast

repeated (for early risers / night owls) starting Sunday 8 am UK / 3 am East Coast / midnight West Coast

plus here's boy wonder interviewed at Tribune

Leo

steering it back to promoting Kit's work ;)

me and the boy wonder are chatting tomorrow (well, we chatted last week but it's "airing" tomorrow) on Repeater Radio -
8 pm UK / 3 pm East Coast / noon West Coast

repeated (for early risers / night owls) starting Sunday 8 am UK / 3 am East Coast / midnight West Coast

plus here's boy wonder interviewed at Tribune

will it be archived? I can't make either of those airings and would hate to miss you and the boy wonder.