entertainment

Who is this person ready to stake their livelihood on their thoughts being sufficiently interesting as for other people to pay money for them. It's only after finding that the thoughts are actually interesting enough to afford the concession that the thoughts are actually interesting that the disposition towards a writer can turn positive.

Maybe this is a very danish way of thinking, I don't know.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think the appetite for something like this article Bad Art Friend is more about the sense of superiority it produces in the reader over these obviously delusional and shitty but more importantly miserable and unfulfilled people.
Interesting. I read a similar analysis of Succession recently - that it placates the proles by letting us think the super rich are all 1) evil 2) miserable. When actually they're laughing and dancing on a big pile of hoarded dubloons.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I can see value in this kind of public therapy way of communicating, as I've engaged in here. But it seems people can over-feel things, just as I am prone to over-think things. Halfway through the article and I have trouble understanding why Dorland took such offense.

Reactions: sus

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
But I also believe we as a swarm need our outlying nodes, variance across the units being like an evolutionary hedging strategy.

luka

Dorland was a person who is sneered at and marginalised by the Liberal Elite, the people whos respect and friendship she had been trying to gain not realising it was impossible because she is inherently the wrong type of person. its natural that she was hurt by this realisation.

The Brooklyn Cultural Mafia thread is also about this which is why Gus is drawn to the story.

luka

luckily i was ostracised by them aged about 11 so i've never had any illusions on that score. fear them, shun them, hide from them. that's my policy.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah and right away the article mentioned some childhood trauma, so I guess theres no accounting for that, from an outsider's perspective.

luka

it's just another forum founded by oxford graduates but now most populated by ivy league grads

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
knee deep in detox hellscape, does this have anything to do with hubris?

Seamus Heaney said something akin to working for a living and art being a grace, so a bad art friend must infer a parasitical culture vampire/positioner who compromises art itself through hubris and greed

same as it ever was, pimps only function “because they inhere in the worth of the principals and define them”

• Wow
Reactions: sus