OMG!! Look what I found!!!

luka

In Disneyland, we are inside the enkitsched memories of Walt himself (born, punctually, in 1901, two years after the publication of The Interpretation Of Dreams), strolling through the reconstructed space of early 20th C Main Street USA, with its corner drugstores, barbers and City Hall. The billboard advertisements feel as if they are authentic scans of period pieces, but like everything else on Main Street they have a brand-new brightness about them, an eerie absence of entropy, as if the whole mintfresh scene had been miraculated into existence only a second ago. The buildings in the Aladdin-inspired Adventureland are allowed to show (artificial) cracks and wear - all carefully maintained to always simulate a particular stage of disrepair - but Main Street is eternally pristine, forever free of decay

Benny Bunter

Yeah the 5Os white p
and both referencing the 50s is it? i dont really know, some olden time thing when the image of suburban america crystallised
Yeah that 50s white picket fence suburbia thing, that's why Tim Burton sprang to mind too - Edward Scissorhands for example has that look. And a lot of his other films have that over the top disneyland thing going on.

luka

tim burton is all gloomy shadows black and purple i thought? ive only seen edward scissorhands though... and batman

Benny Bunter

Well yeah nightmare before Xmas and batman and beetlejuice and that are all black and purple, but with Edward Scissorhands the whole thing is he's this goth freak plonked in the middle of a super stylised, hyperreal white fence suburbia setting,I think. Been a long time since I've seen it though.

mvuent

Void Dweller
as far as the tellytubby worlds... does feel like children's media aesthetics and "adult" (i.e. sexualized) media aesthetics pretty dramatically collapsed together in like the mid 2010s. the more overtly gross stuff like Elsagate was just a growing pain in the process. and of course it's what you'd expect would appeal to people living in barty's infantilized Cocoon Future. really, 2000s deviantart users were ahead of the curve.

this seems relevant. the reference to build-a-bear workshop, and her being famous for that vid doing pixar character style facial expressions; also similar to the katy perry one in pretending to have a subversive message.

Last edited:

catalog

i did watch this but not all the way through. the only thing i thought that hasn't yet been mentioned is wizard of oz.

mvuent

Void Dweller
this pattern might seem hard to square with how dark and depressed a lot of modern pop music/culture also is. but The Cocoon and The Pit are two sides of the same coin. they reinforce each other.

luka

i want to argue that aqua is euro-satire in the mode of paul verhoven but something happens to the meaning
of the style when it is in the service of the biggest US entertainment stars