IdleRich

IdleRich
Hot Chocolate are far from a cool band but they have a few decent songs - and in my opinion they also have two genuine, where-did-that-come-from, moments of genius slo-mo cinematic funk that rival Melody Nelson or anything else in the genre.

It seems that Tindersticks agree cos in french film Les Salauds they reimagined Put Your Love in Me as a desperate whisper of shimmering electronic sleaze

And today I discovered they also nicked a huge lump of Emma for today's tune of the day Show Me Everything, adding an overwrought maximalism to the original's stark beauty.

Good work chaps, killer tunes all round...

IdleRich

IdleRich
I like them too, I just mean that they have never been considered cool, most people associate them with their cheesiest moments and The Full Monty - however I have been pleased to notice that when I mention them and say how much I like some of their stuff, a few of the cognoscenti - you, my friend Aidan, Tindersticks apparently - pipe up on their behalf.

Benny Bunter

Their greatest hits was a tape we had around the house when I was a kid. You sexy thing and everyone's a winner still my favourites to be honest.

catalog

I've tried this a few times over a decade and a bit, I don't think it's possible
I listened to all of "ghettoville" last night and I think you could be right. I do really like it but it's very ploddy in a way, all in the same sort of bleak vibe, not quite matching my more upbeat mood right now. I do really like the tempo and the general sound. The sludginess. And I like that one towards the end, "don't stop the music".

shakahislop

been enjoying this in the last couple of weeks (including this morning, so it counts as a choon of the day). i'm not sure exactly what I get out of it, but there is something surprisingly engaging about it.