Leo

it's the whiskeys. i had 4 pints of mallinsons and 2 commerciales and i was fine but then i had four or five whiskeys at home and it did me in. i can still taste it in my mouth

isn't it supposed to be "whiskey before beer, never fear"? carnage to do it the other way around.

but what do I know, I'm happy with three pints. the thought of six pints followed by five whiskeys makes me queasy.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
tub of greek yogurt before you go on the piss and yer all sorted. not my fault the lad is a Manchester hipster is it now!

IdleRich

IdleRich
isn't it supposed to be "whiskey before beer, never fear"? carnage to do it the other way around.

but what do I know, I'm happy with three pints. the thought of six pints followed by five whiskeys makes me queasy.
The rhyme I know is; beer before wine you'll be fine, but wine before beer makes you queer

IdleRich

IdleRich
If anyone was following the Spiral Tribe thread they may have noticed that I ordered two records with the idea of pitching them right down (or not) and scaring the life out of Lisbon (or actually more likely Porto) hipsters... and then getting really worried that they would get swallowed by the postal monster and wouldn't show.

But last week I did receive Mirror Obsession by X Crash - a portly postwoman almost gave her life dragging it all the way to the third floor.

But I didn't want to start celebrating until I'd got them both. And rightly so it seemed, on Sunday I got a message from DHL saying that they would be delivering the other one to a street with the same name as mine which is on the absolute opposite side of Lisbon. The email was to give me the opportunity to check and correct this if necessary - so I tried to put it right, but it only allowed me to select a Lisbon post code which kinda defeated the object - and wasn't much use seeing as I live outside the city.

In the end I managed to charge the delivery to a local pickup point. This seems to be a new thing where local shops can hold your deliveries for you if you're out. So today I drove through mad traffic (first sunny days of the year) to a flower shop in Belem. Took me two hours to get it.

Anyway, my choon (or chewn as Choci would have it) of the day is a double with Diesel M - M is for Multiple/X-Crash - Mirror Obsession.

Each EP has four tunes on it (counting remixes) and they're all cool in their own way. The Diesel M is particularly useful cos it's on 45 and I can easily play it on 33, the other is on 33 so I can't really get it to the speed I want without using ultrapitch... oh well maybe I will have to scare the punters a little more than originally planned...

IdleRich

IdleRich
@william_kent did you ever see this film Village of the Snake God? I guess not but going by the title, OST, feel etc it ought to be a little like Psychomania... if it existed. Yep I'm afraid it's another entry to yhe massively original "soundtrack to an imaginary movie" genre, however it really is a rather superior one, serving up exactly the mixture of fuzzy psychedelia, creepy Les Baxter style easy listening and cinematic krautrock that you'd expect - except with every tune really good and much better than you'd expect. Check out track 3, Theme From Village... which I'm picking as my choon of the day seeing as it's not called album of the day

I guess there have always been quite a few (too many) of these things around, but with Bandcamp they have proliferated hugely into an overstuffed genre - for such a one-liner anyways. I was sceptical to see this guy I know rhapsodizing about this record but he was so enthusiastic I checked it and fair enough he is on to something. Pity I was so slow off the mark cos it sold out and now copies are going for triple figures, still you would think they would repress it if they got a brain or any business savvy.

william_kent

@william_kent did you ever see this film Village of the Snake God? I guess not but going by the title, OST, feel etc it ought to be a little like Psychomania... if it existed. Yep I'm afraid it's another entry to yhe massively original "soundtrack to an imaginary movie" genre, however it really is a rather superior one, serving up exactly the mixture of fuzzy psychedelia, creepy Les Baxter style easy listening and cinematic krautrock that you'd expect - except with every tune really good and much better than you'd expect. Check out track 3, Theme From Village... which I'm picking as my choon of the day seeing as it's not called album of the day

I guess there have always been quite a few (too many) of these things around, but with Bandcamp they have proliferated hugely into an overstuffed genre - for such a one-liner anyways. I was sceptical to see this guy I know rhapsodizing about this record but he was so enthusiastic I checked it and fair enough he is on to something. Pity I was so slow off the mark cos it sold out and now copies are going for triple figures, still you would think they would repress it if they got a brain or any business savvy.
I feel like I should have seen this film that may or may not exist

but good call

there was an Indonesian horror movie I once saw that involved snakes and popping eyeballs and that tune feels like it could have been part of the soundtrack

william_kent

oh look, through the magic of youtube I can subject you to the terror of The Snake Queen! ( The Indonesian horror film I vaguely recalled a couple of posts above )

The Snake Queen ( Java, 1982 )

psych Gamelan!

edit: I'm going to have to watch this now as I might have been fantasising about the exploding eyeballs, fairly confident it features snake though

IdleRich

IdleRich
I have to say I don't see the point of the OST to a non-existent film thing, file it with the "lost honest guv groundbreaking techno album from 1893" as a pointless genre. And yet this rocks... or could it be that it's cos it's sold out and I can't have it, I suddenly really want it.

william_kent

I have to say I don't see the point of the OST to a non-existent film thing, file it with the "lost honest guv groundbreaking techno album from 1893" as a pointless genre. And yet this rocks... or could it be that it's cos it's sold out and I can't have it, I suddenly really want it.

nah, that tune you posted rocks

if I wasn't scrimping and saving for my trip to Tokyo / Taipei next week I would have jumped on discogs and made an ill advised purchase

IdleRich

IdleRich
Wait for the reissue... I got some limited edition stuff on Bandcamp and when it was going for £250 shortly after I thought "Get in!" - but then they did a limited edition blue vinyl repress... and then a red one... and then a clear one...

william_kent

Wait for the reissue... I got some limited edition stuff on Bandcamp and when it was going for £250 shortly after I thought "Get in!" - but then they did a limited edition blue vinyl repress... and then a red one... and then a clear one...

don't fall for the hype

I'll be on a plane on this year's "record store day", but i know I can just pick up the tunes I want weeks afterwards, and priced at less that they were on the day

although, fair to say, doesn't always work out that way

my advice, buy the tunes you like, don't buy to speculate

william_kent

accidentally posted this in the Russia thread, but hastily deleted because it would have caused confusion:

having said that, I once bought a Ramleh album for 29p with the thought that "Industrial *****" likes them, might be worth some money in the future, and I've just checked discogs and the cheapest is £29, so maybe I'll get a return on my investment?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Guess I was on the outside... or maybe I'm not concentrating properly, I'm in the queue to see former Dissensian Ed DMX at Arroz, never seen it so busy here. Even with a ticket it's a nightmare to get in.

IdleRich

IdleRich
[
oh look, through the magic of youtube I can subject you to the terror of The Snake Queen! ( The Indonesian horror film I vaguely recalled a couple of posts above )

The Snake Queen ( Java, 1982 )

psych Gamelan!

edit: I'm going to have to watch this now as I might have been fantasising about the exploding eyeballs, fairly confident it features snake though
I think I might have seen that!

Mr. Naga Pickle

watching an indian movie and went on youtube hoping to find a disco song on its soundtrack, but encountered this marvelous present instead: