william_kent

Vitamin HMC - life support system 100% Juice

Once upon a time renegade Eton space cadets would crash land in Hulme, Manchester, and proceed to put on the wildest drug fuelled parties - one component of the Eton nexus put on nights going by the name of “Pollen” ( funky acid ) and a more low-key downtempo affair called ‘The Beehive” ( where I remember one of my reggae selector friends found an eighth of hash on the table we commandeered - we had a talent for getting the best booth through sheer force of numbers - and then we got wasted for free to the sounds of Parliament ) , but anyway Pollen had the best flyers

1708732110573.png

1708732297504.png

1708732241961.png

1708732397434.png

A typical Pollen night might include a Doved Up Bill on the dance floor doing a running man impersonation / big fish little fish mime only to open his eyes to reveal half a dozen Jeminas sporting ironing board flat midriffs bookended by a tartan mini skirt and a transparent wonder bra circling him or some blue blooded blue stocking peer of the realm handing him a jelly baby into which a tab of acid had been craftily inserted

I remember when pollen “transformed the hacienda” and Crispin was flown in from wherever he was holidaying in South America especially so he could DJ ( apparently he ended up as a presenter on MTV for a while )

1708733068479.png

1708732169672.png

1708732135515.png

1708730973940.png

and I was so Doved Up that I needed to cool down and I stood near the entrance to get a blast of Manc air and Ice T wandered in ( “Body Count” had performed in MCR that night ) and

1708731008602.png

his "I don't need bodyguards" spiel didn't make sense because he was surrounded by the biggest guys with the thickest necks I've ever seen and then I spotted Ice in a corner with "K", a purveyor of the finest Doves, but I was trying to make my way back up to the balcony when I bumped into someone who I hadn't seen in years but who was now wedded to an anorexic Factory signing and she expressed surprise I was there and I was like, thinking, I never said this out loud obviously, "I was doing psychedelics and phet back when you were on the shandies and I'm on the guest list same as you" and then I was back on the balcony and a couple of Jeminas in little white mini skirts were dancing with me and I might have been on a promise but a Hulme reprobate stuck a bottle of Amyl nitrate under my nose and forced me to inhale, deeply, and the world turned to cotton wool and I became one with the grey concrete walls of the hacienda and that is why I don't have a father in law who goes by the name of 'honourable member' and then when we were leaving the ex-wife of a certain Salford punk poet ( she was rumoured to be the 'monster from outer space' ) turned to me and said "that was a bit tracky, wasn't it" and then things get a bit hazy and either we all ended up in a flat in Hulme for a 'session' or maybe on a patch of grass next to the Princess parkway where the guys from The Kitchen had set up a sound system and then played the same bass line for the next 8 hours and that was maybe when a BMW pulled up and a pimp and his stable piled out, surveyed the scene, laughed, and all piled back into the BMW and drove off...

which is a long winded way of introducing the tune above which was a Pollen anthem and I believe it may have been the first track on the legendary "Pollen tape' which we all owned back then but no one has a copy now because everyone played it so much that every copy got chewed up

I've been searching for a digital copy for years and the internet / P2P comes up blank and all that exists is a fan recreation of "side one"

Fan Recreation of the Pollen Tape side One

@crispitno

1 year ago (edited)
Holy smokes. I did that mix a loooong fckn time ago!!! Hang on, did you find the tunes and then re-mix the set?
https://www.youtube.com/create_channel?upsell=comment
·
1 reply

@jamesgodwin4124
1 year ago
Hey Crispin!! I'm so glad you stumbled across this post! This was such a classic mix! Yes, my copy of the pollen tape was played mercilessly and became really grainy and almost unplayable - so I made it my mission to try and track down all of the tunes and re-mix the set (and met a lot of fellow Pollen'ers on the way
emoji_u1f642.png
). It's not got your fancy scratching in it (I still want to do another version with that included) and I've not been able to re-mix the other side as still a few choons short. It's a very long shot but could you listen to the 3 samples I have put links too on this post and any chance you can still ID them?
Show less

Attachments

• 1708732221537.png
    1708732221537.png
    140.8 KB · Views: 0

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Doves eh, Pollen was last night going out in Manchester @william_kent , last year of genuine doves too although the real shift was the year before. I know we rabbit about these now mythical compound artefacts, yet the point remains with regards the sheer potentiality of force unleashed within. Speckled were gouchy and different. Doubles almost barrel shaped. Still, the core batches completely disappeared around 94, you could do a PhD on the reasons why

Harry’s from Bolton and Digs/Grace Greater Mancs, Pete was Bolton/Lancs, add Babsy Lion, Cookie‘s Bolton. DiY had a night at the Hacienda which devolved into chaos when the entire 50+ guest list - every single one - got booted out. Cant recall why, had an alternative night going but arrived in Mancs with the dawn fully emerged and couldn’t find anyone. No mobiles. Agh. Eventually got back to Nottingham along one of Britain’s most unforgiving roads for the post-pickled/hungover-sober. Hulme hosted a myriad of folks