0bleak

they found the brain to be more elastic, and they became convinced they liked it since being morally flexible was freedom to them

more Accelerated Audio Alpha Activity:

sus

That part where he sings "Just a little nervous from the fall" while his voice falls and falters. Perfect

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
c’mon Gus, you can’t crowdsource tunes with such a high profile for BK Mafia YT nights in/out - it’ll be obvious if anyone asks for “so and so?” when you have the entire history of recorded music, more or less, at your finger tips

i’ll throw you a bone in that Roberta Flack’s work led all the way to late-wave Detroit production samples, shocker, so you’re maybe better off listening out for the likes of Roberta Sweed, Norma Jean Bell and work your way out

certain keyboard signatures may be ‘played out’ (and even despised) but I love em here

sus

c’mon Gus, you can’t crowdsource tunes with such a high profile for BK Mafia YT nights in/out - it’ll be obvious if anyone asks for “so and so?” when you have the entire history of recorded music, more or less, at your finger tips

i’ll throw you a bone in that Roberta Flack’s work led all the way to late-wave Detroit production samples, shocker, so you’re maybe better off listening out for the likes of Roberta Sweed, Norma Jean Bell and work your way out

certain keyboard signatures may be ‘played out’ (and even despised) but I love em here
I was just trying to bond over Grateful Dead songs I like

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
I was just trying to bond over Grateful Dead songs I like

I partially misunderstood you, chaos at work, late late lunch post. If you can stomach the pillocks who host this (I cant, @william_kent reviewed and decimated one of their books somewhere) you’re away

China Doll? Bit mournful without the emotional heft of a few picks. I know, it’s meant to be delicate, just not as delicate as multiple renditions of Two Souls/Communion from Europe 72, or Birdsong 72 at the Oregon creamery benefit, or Ship of Fools 6/23/74. Listen for the key licks in the latter and try and imagine it through the Wall of Sound rig too (a version from Germany 81 dials up the juice but distractions)

giblets in the background trigger warning

or you could lean in/back to Peggy O from New Haven 5/5/77 after the pers/boomer canon thread, but with your more attuned audio setups not laptop speakers or you miss Mr Philip Lesh

a JGBand rendition of Gomorrah from summer 78 which is prescient given it’s an election year, a certain taste for a neck-loosening range of compounds just like a St Louis river boat chasing dragons - you can tell R Tutt isn’t on drums immediately fwiw and the lead vocal is coked out and reedy but DJG‘s backing vocals add a forlorn gospel lilt, the lp version is bunk and more of a demo to then be explored and honed through live performance

the larger array of actual songs to choose from are earlier, shows from summer 69 to autumn 71. Or, more precisely, those with an acoustic set opener, the type rebirthed for Reckoning in 81. Shows in 70//71 where New Speedway Boogie‘s are sludgy, slow, two chord drone outs and a woody bass tone they never quite went back to, can’t find the one needed on YT but it’s in the folder posted in a reply to Kid C in the GD fred. Any more and there’ll be mutterings among the ranks about overcooking COTD with ‘hippy bollocks’

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Compare the vocals in Ship of Fools to Birdsong

both are ’Betty boards’ but the Wall of Sound‘s microphone array had a double vocal mic setup to cut down on monitor interference affecting its signal live, unfortunately by doing so it reduced the vocal quality range down noticeably which makes for a solid yardstick when attempting to distinguish or gauge between1970, 71, 72, 73 and 74 shows and performances

hence, if you can get your ears around 1974 level of shows as a trick - a raft of Dicks Picks have a bias towards 74 and 73 - 72 and 77 sound even more refined

Dead Studies concluded for today, thank fuck eh