Plato's Cave

snav

Two things about Plato's cave that ppl forget:
- the reason ppl stay in the cave is because the sun outside the cave is blinding and painful
- you're supposed to go back into the cave after absorbing the sun's rays and becoming the philosopher king or whatever and lead the ppl still down there

catalog

From memory, the bit in Republic where he talks about the cave is not a memorable bit of it at all. Flies by. The main thing I remember is all the details of who does what. Not that I can recall the details.

sus

As I’ve mentioned before in this blog, cavefish are fish that live solely in caves, as their name suggests. They are weird. They are obese, eyeless, and exceptionally long-lived. This is in contrast to their cousins, surfacefish, who live in rivers and streams near the caves and have normal sizes, normal eyes, and normal lifespans. (src)

version

8og6j1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: sus
We've all heard that his place of burial (in a private garden near the Plato Institute) has been identified in a recently scanned and translated Herculaneum scroll, which also revealed he was sold into slavery after capture by the Spartans?

0bleak

We've all heard that his place of burial (in a private garden near the Plato Institute) has been identified in a recently scanned and translated Herculaneum scroll, which also revealed he was sold into slavery after capture by the Spartans?

That must have been awkward and humbling... "hey, uh, you know... I don't know how put this... but... I'm kind of a big deal"