linebaugh

What just in general? Like by saying that word she thought (or felt) she was doing something wrong?
its not a one to one with chav but mexican does work as a pejorative for some, and if your like my mom the pejorative is probably used around you a good portion of the time so when you say it you feel naughty

version

If Rittenhouse avoids jail time, what's the betting he becomes a George Zimmerman and tries to leverage his notoriety?

martin

----
Also they keep saying "he crossed stare lines" why is that such a big deal? Especially if he lived near the state line, surely the issue is how far he went rather than if there happened to be an arbitrary line on the way.

From what I can gather, it makes it a federal crime, which is more of a life sentence if you're sent down. Short version is: his older friend in Wisconsin bought the gun for him because he was underage. Rittenhouse lived in Illinois, so if he'd carried the gun over the state line it would have been a federal crime. (Americans, correct me if I've got this mixed up).

But it's irrelevant now, as the gun was stored in Wisconsin all along, and Illinois didn't prosecute anyway.

The evidence this week suggests it's pretty much self-defence, the guy he shot even admitted he lowered his gun at Rittenhouse, and the state prosecutor threw his face into his hand. On a vaguely related note, this happened to reggae star Nitty Gritty when he drew a gun on Supercat in the US. Supercat shot him and won on self-defence. The other one tried to grab his gun, and the other tried to smack him with a skateboard. The reason nobody's really mourning the two he shot (and that Twitter's been a bit muted on this) is it's emerged one was a convicted child rapist and the other was a complete nut who tried to stab his own family. So he did some good that night.

But I agree with you, he seems an impressionable, immature kid who was desperate for some heroics and ended up in a complete mess. Maybe the book deal will get him a nice house somewhere.

IdleRich

IdleRich
We kinda knew that was gonna be the result didn't we? Based on what I've read over the last week or two, any other result would have have been a big surprise. Before that I was expecting the opposite result of course.

But America seems nuts like that. We watched a programme about gun violence and there was one where two guys in trucka had an argument in the carpark near a beach and one moved towards the other who shot him dead... in the end he wasn't even charged with anything.

Crazy to me... if someone is DEAD then surely it should be recognised that something somewhere has gone kinda wrong right? Of course there can be special circumstances that justify this kind of 'self-defence' or accident or whatever, but I think that when one person has killed another the default position ought to be that that person has done something wrong.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
We kinda knew that was gonna be the result didn't we? Based on what I've read over the last week or two, any other result would have have been a big surprise. Before that I was expecting the opposite result of course.

But America seems nuts like that. We watched a programme about gun violence and there was one where two guys in trucka had an argument in the carpark near a beach and one moved towards the other who shot him dead... in the end he wasn't even charged with anything.

Crazy to me... if someone is DEAD then surely it should be recognised that something somewhere has gone kinda wrong right? Of course there can be special circumstances that justify this kind of 'self-defence' or accident or whatever, but I think that when one person has killed another the default position ought to be that that person has done something wrong.
I suppose that, in a country where any ordinary person could reasonably suspect that any other ordinary person might have a gun, then in the context of an argument, any kind of movement could in principle be made with the intention of drawing a gun, to which the other person would feel justified in drawing their own gun in self-defence...

IdleRich

IdleRich
With the Florida 'stand your ground' law it feels as though someone can kill someone and say "I was standing my ground" and the prosecution has to prove beyond a doubt that that is not the true version of events... with the only witness dead. Is there something I'm missing out here?

sus

I've been watching it nearly every afternoon and evening. Quite a few LOL moments, like when the guy from Car Doctor was brought on as a witness. The defence is saying "He was attacked and defended himself with lethal force, as is his constitutional right" and the prosecution's "He went in there with a gun and a bunch of rowdies knowing there'd be trouble, oh and he also plays Call of Duty, wink wink". I think he'll be acquitted.

Loads of flare-ups too, total opposite to the Chauvin snoozefest

It's like soap opera badly acted. The speakers can barely sentences together, they get halfway through a clause and stutter self-importantly and switch course. Melodramatic facial expressions, puffed chests, Judge Judy finger-wags. Graysuit is better composed but his sartorial sense is atrocious. It's all so gaudy. Sometimes when I'm stoned I get this sense that television I'm watching is parodic, but I'm stone-cold sober and I keep having to remind myself this is real.

version

It was interesting seeing the response on Reddit in comparison to the response on Twitter. I was scrolling through a thread on /r/news and most of the comments I saw were about how much of a mess the prosecution was and how it was unsurprising he wasn't found guilty; Twitter was full of people talking about fascism and how the far right have now been given carte blanche to shoot anyone they like.

• Haha
Reactions: sus