luka

my prediction is hes going to like these cos the retro sounds make it more approachable

catalog

shit well i missed friday well @catalog lemme make this up to you:

these are the 2 that i did say i had planned to show you
I don't really like the 1st one, it feels very sincere but I don't like this sort of way of telling the story. "Warrior, African warrior, trapped in America". Its a bit blunt and obvious. Similarly a bit too much sentimentality in the music. It's doing a good job of what it's setting out to achieve, I just don't click with it. Feels oldish? Like early 2000s or before?

luka

he can never get free! every day he has to listen to more music he despises! it's like one of those ancient great tortures, hes liver is renewed just to be pecked out again

forclosure

I don't really like the 1st one, it feels very sincere but I don't like this sort of way of telling the story. "Warrior, African warrior, trapped in America". Its a bit blunt and obvious. Similarly a bit too much sentimentality in the music. It's doing a good job of what it's setting out to achieve, I just don't click with it. Feels oldish? Like early 2000s or before?
aaand as for the Ka track?

forclosure

he can never get free! every day he has to listen to more music he despises! it's like one of those ancient great tortures, hes liver is renewed just to be pecked out again
"despises" i'll be honest i never got the impression that he despises rap just that his perspective of it was tarred by middle class true school believers he grew up around.

I get it it's like how during my metalhead days when i friends would throw on Bullet for my Valentine and i'd think to myself "and you reeeeally think this is better than 99.9% of all rap music?"

forclosure

Anyways @catalog i must admit i'm surprised that you reacted so negativly to "African Warrior" (came out in 2007) my other two picks were "Crown Me" and "Snow Coloured Hands" the former has Jacka rappin over a sample of Sizzla's Solid as a rock (there's no way on earth i was gonna dislike that track when i first heard about it) but i decided not to go with it cause i know you have an aversion to upfront aggression and the latter is over a sample of Fleetwood Mac's Landslide i would've thought that might've pulled you in cause i know rock lads love a rap track that has a sample they recognise in the first 3 seconds.

But yeah Jacka interesting rapper a street rapper first n foremost but very much informed by his Muslim faith(he converted when he saw how a group of muslim boys he was gonna rob from group up and stick together if i remember right), and his political rap forebares that came before him from Oakland like Paris and Ice Cube so his music is littered with these contradictions where he seemingly tries to live by principals and morals but because of the streets it makes it really untennable.(him and his crew the Mob Figaz were really into the rappers coming out of Queensbridge so there's that angle that's also interesting,he was good friends with Cormega)

He's like a Beanie Sigel or a Z-ro in that regard street rap that's "thoughtful" also while his voice might sound flat on first listen it's a feature not a hinderance, considering i know you like Slick Rick cat i thought you'd pick up on that quality.

forclosure

I was just teasing!
s'alright man i'll ease back

if my man wants to stop he's within his right to tell me, he hasn't and as far as i know he doesn't sneak off in the cover night to go get his UK2UK/Black Metal 2 fix so i'll keep this going lol

luka

linebaugh doesnt actually hate rap so it would have less comedy value but on the other hand he engages more when hes given homework

catalog

Anyways @catalog i must admit i'm surprised that you reacted so negativly to "African Warrior" (came out in 2007) my other two picks were "Crown Me" and "Snow Coloured Hands" the former has Jacka rappin over a sample of Sizzla's Solid as a rock (there's no way on earth i was gonna dislike that track when i first heard about it) but i decided not to go with it cause i know you have an aversion to upfront aggression and the latter is over a sample of Fleetwood Mac's Landslide i would've thought that might've pulled you in cause i know rock lads love a rap track that has a sample they recognise in the first 3 seconds.

But yeah Jacka interesting rapper a street rapper first n foremost but very much informed by his Muslim faith(he converted when he saw how a group of muslim boys he was gonna rob from group up and stick together if i remember right), and his political rap forebares that came before him from Oakland like Paris and Ice Cube so his music is littered with these contradictions where he seemingly tries to live by principals and morals but because of the streets it makes it really untennable.(him and his crew the Mob Figaz were really into the rappers coming out of Queensbridge so there's that angle that's also interesting,he was good friends with Cormega)

He's like a Beanie Sigel or a Z-ro in that regard street rap that's "thoughtful" also while his voice might sound flat on first listen it's a feature not a hinderance, considering i know you like Slick Rick cat i thought you'd pick up on that quality.
I don't really like slick Rick that much tbh. I'm sorry if you got that impression. Tricky name checks him a lot but when I first heard children's story I couldn't believe how much I didn't like it.

catalog

Actually I really loved this Titian painting of Titus the giant when I saw it in the prado and drew it a few times

tityus-titian.jpg

In his Metamorphoses Ovid recounts the torments of the Giant Tityus, whose punishment for having attempted to rape the goddess Leto was to have two vultures devouring his continually regenerating liver for eternity. This work is Titian´s own late repetition of the original, painted by him for Mary of Hungary as part of a series of Furies. It was conceived as a warning for those who dared to challenge imperial power during a critical moment of confrontation with Protestant princes.

I think it's payback for my shameful part in the pinhead craner episode. I'm on my back and I've got busta rhymes pecking me out every day.

catalog

aaand as for the Ka track?
I like it. He says "catalog" for a start. I like the pacing.

It feels quite different to quite a few0 you've posted.

Never heard of him, might investigate further. I like the naked and blatant, very honest desire for money.

I actually listened to the whole of that Blu album on bandcamp the other day, really enjoyed it.