Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
But yeah unfortunately where there is quick, big, illicit money to be made, the hype will largely be dominated by grifters and impatient, unscrupulous investors. The latter is best summarized by the "wen lambo?" sentiment.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
what is this new way of thinking about databases then?
That databases can be maintained in a distributed fashion without central administration, that the security can be programmed into the protocol itself. Distributed computing isn't new, but as I understand it, what Bitcoin brought to the table was the idea that a bunch of computers, run by different actors, can harmoniously maintain a universal database with very good security.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
but if blockchains are a bad idea, and they seems like one, what does that imply for web3.0?
It may be a bad idea to use blockchains for everything, in fact I'd say thats obviously the case. Not everything needs to be stored and accessed in this way. That said, not every blockchain needs to be permissionless. And distributed database technology can be broader than blockchains. There are also examples of "directed acyclic graphs" which aren't classifiable as blockchains, but blockchains are classifiable as DAGs I believe.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Actually to my knowledge its quite good. I'm certainly no expert on cryptography, but its my understanding that falsification of a database like Bitcoin is prohibitively expensive, requiring a bad actor to buy most of the compute power in the network. This security measure, as I understand, was explicitly intended as the central security measure.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
That said, this security measure really depends on the network underpinning the database in question to be large enough to prohibit such corruption. If a new blockchain adopted the same code as bitcoin, but with far fewer computers, it would follow that the security would be weaker.

vimothy

yurp
ok if you define security in those terms then sure, but in general is crypto free from scams? I think quite the opposite

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
That said, this security measure really depends on the network underpinning the database in question to be large enough to prohibit such corruption. If a new blockchain adopted the same code as bitcoin, but with far fewer computers, it would follow that the security would be weaker.
Which is to say, not every blockchain has this kind of security. I also think proof-of-stake makes some security trade-offs, but I just don't understand the nature of this trade-off.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
ok if you define security in those terms then sure, but in general is crypto free from scams? I think quite the opposite
You're definitely right. Security in the sense of protecting my funds from scammers is dependent on factors that the protocols themselves cannot account for, such as whether I keep my private keys safe, whether or not send 1 BTC to someone who promises to send 2 BTC in return, etc.

vimothy

yurp
You're definitely right. Security in the sense of protecting my funds from scammers is dependent on factors that the protocols themselves cannot account for, such as whether I keep my private keys safe, whether or not send 1 BTC to someone who promises to send 2 BTC in return, etc.
right exactly it's open season atm, the space is riddled with scams

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
consider the effects, in effect how secure are any of these blockchains?
I'd say the blockchains themselves are secure. The problem is the unscrupulous behavior of investors, and the lack of regulatory protection they have against scammers. It boils down to decisions made by blockchain users, not the protocols themselves.

vimothy

yurp
I'd say the blockchains themselves are secure. The problem is the unscrupulous behavior of investors, and the lack of regulatory protection they have against scammers. It boils down to decisions made by blockchain users, not the protocols themselves.
so, in effect, how secure are these blockchains?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
that is in fact the major attraction
Yeah and really this gets at the biggest problems of web3, in my opinion. That this kind of unscrupulous engagement with these protocols is encouraged by the culture of web3, with influencers and advertisers fanning the flames of FOMO.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
so, in effect, how secure are these blockchains?
I'd still say they are secure, people just need to learn how to use them. Just because I could drive a car onto a sidewalk and mow down a bunch of pedestrians doesn't make cars a prohibitively dangerous technology. Its just a matter of regulation, and analyzing trade-offs.

I think maybe the biggest reason why such fraudulent activity is so rampant right now is because of a lack of regulation, another reason for the frontier metaphor, i.e. unsettled by major institutional actors who lay down the law.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
And that is gradually happening, as one would predict with any lucrative frontier. TikTok influencers are being regulated, shilling celebrities are being sued, and I think even a crypto-specific regulatory agency is being formed to take over some of the unnatural responsibilities of the SEC.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
But the fact that a bunch of computers can maintain a database that is prohibitively expensive to tamper with, without a central administrator, is profound.