mixed_biscuits

The spring of 2020 was one of the balmiest I can remember, so it would have been a perfect opportunity for people who were on furlough or WFH to take long walks, jog in the park, and meet up with friends for a coffee and an ice cream.
Exactly. It could have been the best pandemic ever.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Exactly. It could have been the best pandemic ever.
Let's not rewrite history, please. You weren't advocating a good, healthy lockdown where we were all doing yoga on the rec ground in the sunshine. You were vocally opposed to any modification of our behaviour whatsoever.

droid

In this instance, the stopped clocked that is friend Biscuits happens to be telling the right time. I accept that there is still an underlying elevated death rate (even if it seems to have settled down from mid-2023 onwards); but it is purely an assertion on your part, @droid, that this is due exclusively to people dying from new covid infections.

You're actually a masochist. Anyone with an ounce of self respect would just STFU at this stage.

Once again you are claiming that the staggeringly high levels of excess death across multiple countries are due to domestic issues in the UK, including the hilarious anti-vax argument that lockdowns are the cause. I trust even someone as mentally challenged as yourself can understand how stupid that is.

As for new flu cases etc... I have specifically mentioned this:

And, indeed if what I say is false how the fuck are we seeing massive spikes in the severity of relatively benign illness and hospitalisations? In Ireland in 23 we saw a quadrupling of severe flu, a tripling of severe chickenpox and RSV and and 18-fold(!) increase in Strep A

The consensus in the medical literature is that this is being caused by immune damage due to repeated covid infections. Go to any medical journal and look it up. In just the past couple of weeks they've found covid related mechanisms behind the huge spike in RSV and Hepatitis in kids in 2022.

You speculate again that this is all due to damage caused in 2020/21. Where is the evidence to back this up? You've just pulled it out of your hole.

This is the second time in a few days that you've told me I'm wrong and a grotesquely ugly freak, and have then posted a link to a paper or article that precisely backs up what I'm saying.

WTF are you on about? When did I call you a 'grotesquely ugly freak'? You were questioning the assertion that excess deaths were even happening using a dodgy graph (even though you had previously accepted they were). I provided evidence from a range of sources. Owen Jones' speculation about the causes are beside the point, and this is just one of many articles that identify a problem and then claim it is being caused by ABC (Anything but covid). Pediatric RSV and Hepatitis was blamed on adenovirus, dogs and strawberries.

Look, I'll make this very simple, this is far from an exhaustive list:

• Covid has been proven to cause severe damage to the immune system and we are seeing sustained, eye-watering levels of severe illness as result of normally relatively benign disease. For example, the WHO have just recorded the highest ever level of TB in 2022
  • Covid is known to cause severe damage to the heart and cardiac systems and we have seen a huge wave of excess strokes, cardiac deaths and incidents.
  • Covid is known to cause significant damage to the brain through a number of mechanisms and we have seen a rise in a wide range of neurological disorders including widespread cognitive decline.
  • Covid's effect on the immune system is capable of inducing auto-immune conditions, hence the huge spike in diabetes, increases in IBS, arthritis.
  • Post covid sequelae and long covid are very common. They affect at minimum 10% of all infections.
  • Since the huge reduction in testing across a wide range of medical settings, many covid deaths are not being reported as such.
These claims are supported by the literature. Im happy to link to published, peer reviewed studies to back up every one of them. In fact the main issue is wading through the studies there are so many of them, literally tens of thousands, and we have known most of this stuff since 2020.

So we know that covid does all of this stuff, it's the most studied infectious disease in history, and we've seen all of these issues dramatically increase since the end of 2021 when we decided to let the disease rip. There are other forces at play of course, but all of these factors are contributing to the historically high, sustained level of excess deaths we are seeing across the world and the historically high levels of disability and absenteeism.

Occam's razor applies. There's no great mystery here. The clearest and most simple explanation for all this is the ongoing effect of continuous population-level covid infection. If you're going to dispute this, you need extraordinary evidence - unless you want to cement your alliance with your libertarian friends and blame... the vaccines?

droid

Oh, and incidentally. Even if it were true that covid is no big deal, just like the flu, its 'mild' now etc, all the minimising canards that you propose which we once considered to be domain of far right eugenicists - that still wouldn't make ignoring the virus OK.

It varies from country to country, but about 3-4% of the population of most Western countries have some kind of immune condition, those with auto-immune diseases, transplant recipients, cancer patients etc. And we have a number of other high risk groups who probably account for about another 10-15% of the population.

Nobody disputes that these people are at high risk of death or severe illness from Covid, and yet we are doing virtually nothing to protect them other than vaccines (which tend not to work on auto-immune patients). Auto-immune patients are being challenged by HCW when they go in for infusions because they are wearing masks. Cancer patients are having their immune systems stripped away via chemotherapy administered by unmasked doctors and nurses.

These people have a stark choice now, lock themselves away forever or risk death and severe disease, and a society that was once aghast at the idea that we should just let the vulnerable die rather than curtail our individual freedoms have now fully embraced the idea without even the slightest consideration for the lives of the weakest and most vulnerable people in our society.

There's a word for this.

mixed_biscuits

Let's not rewrite history, please. You weren't advocating a good, healthy lockdown where we were all doing yoga on the rec ground in the sunshine. You were vocally opposed to any modification of our behaviour whatsoever.
My approach would have been the Swedish one.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh, and incidentally. Even if it were true that covid is no big deal, just like the flu, its 'mild' now etc, all the minimising canards that you propose which we once considered to be domain of far right eugenicists - that still wouldn't make ignoring the virus OK.
Except I haven't once said it was "no big deal" - my position is that it is clearly not responsible for all of the excess death rate, in fact is probably responsible for much less than half of it, and that countermeasures such as lockdowns and mask mandates for small children have health impacts of their own that have to weighed up against the potential benefits. If there's a good medical case for a new round of vaccinations tailored to target the currently prevalent strains, then that's fine by me. I'm not an anti-vaxxer, as you know, despite your petulant and dishonest attempts to bracket me with them. And yes, masks are surely still a good idea in settings where you've got lots of vulnerable people, i.e. care homes and hospitals, but I'm obviously not in charge of making policy, so I dunno why you think that makes a good stick to beat me with.

So have fun knocking down that straw man you've constructed, but my position is based on evidence, not on the assumption that every single death above the statistical average can only be due to freshly contracted cases of covid-19. Or you could just called me a Nazi again and then post another article that backs up my position better than it does yours, up to you.

droid

Are you OK Tea? You had covid recently right?

Background Cognitive impairment is the most common and disabling manifestation of post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2. There is an urgent need for the application of more stringent methods for evaluating cognitive outcomes in research studies.

...The effect sizes were large; the observed changes in throughput were equivalent to 10.6 years of normal aging and a 59.8% increase in the burden of mild cognitive impairment.