luka

theres always something to say you just have to start a sentence and see whats at the end of it

luka

you should never eat a sandwich in the evening though a sandwich can only ever be eaten at lunch i bet you got it delivered as well

luka

you shouldnt be talking cos you have soemthing to say you should talk for the love of talking and then in the course of talking you might discover some clever idea

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Similar to building an immaculate machine for the love of building an immaculate machine and in the course of building an immaculate machine you might discover some clever idea.

luka

i dunno. im planning to go out more often since ive had covid this month so i'll let you know

toko

And also the whole common language of self-expression and self-knowledge is confined to a rather high-level and abstract layer of understanding ("myself" "who am I?" "what do I want out of life?" etc), atop the layer of understanding which speaks the language of organic systems and physiology, etc.

Choosing where to distinguish these layers is somewhat arbitrary and academic - the point is to traverse as much of this scale as possible, for an integral understanding, I'd say.
Been reading enough 18th-century Scottish enlightenment texts to understand this post, luckily. Hume's A Treatise of Human Nature in particular

luka

Been reading enough 18th-century Scottish enlightenment texts to understand this post, luckily. Hume's A Treatise of Human Nature in particular
do you like the poem craner helpfuly typed out for us?

toko

Been reading enough cybernetic texts to understand this post, luckily. Bateson's Steps to an Ecology of Mind in particular
on a serious note have you read gilbert simondon's individuation In Light of Notions of Forms and Matter? It's an interesting confluence of cybernetics and french thinking of the time. ofc Deleuze would go off and run with it in his own way but the original text is surprisingly lucid.

toko

do you like the poem craner helpfuly typed out for us?

is it in this thread? let me see if I can find it.

sus

on a serious note have you read gilbert simondon's individuation In Light of Notions of Forms and Matter? It's an interesting confluence of cybernetics and french thinking of the time. ofc Deleuze would go off and run with it in his own way but the original text is surprisingly lucid.
Nope! What are a few of its ideas?

sus

You know what poem I really liked lately

Auden's Atlantis

Now that's a good poem I reckon

luka

OF MOVEMENT TOWARDS A NATURAL PLACE

See him recall the day by moral trace, a squint
to cross-fire shewing fear of hurt at top left; the
bruise is glossed by “nothing much” but drains
to deep excitement. His recall is false but the charge
is still there in neural space, pearly blue with a
touch of crimson. “By this I mean a distribution
of neurons…some topologically preserved transform”,
upon his lips curious white flakes, like thin snow.
He sees his left wrist rise to tell him the time,
to set the damage control at the same white rate.

What mean square error. Remorse is a pathology of
syntax, the expanded time-display depletes the
input of “blame” which patters like scar tissue.
First intentions are cleanest: no paint on the nail
cancels the flux link. Then the sun comes out
(top right) and local numbness starts to spread, still
he is “excited” because in part shadow. Not will
but chance the plants claim but tremble, “a
detecting mechanism must integrate across that
population”; it makes sense right at the contre-coup.

So the trace was moral on both sides, as formerly
the moment of godly suffusion: anima tota in singulis
membris sui corporis. The warmth of cognition not
yet neuroleptic but starry and granular. The more
you recall what you call the need for it, she tells
him by a shout down the staircase. You call it
your lost benevolence (little room for charity),
and he rises like a plaque to the sun. Up there the
blood levels of the counter-self come into beat
by immune reflection, by night lines above the cut:

Only at the rim does the day tremble and shine.
yes its on this thread its right in front of your nose look

toko

Nope! What are a few of its ideas?
working my way through it at the moment. So far its been both a critique of substantial and or form/matter-based approaches to individuation and a positive ontological project in its own right. The thought is that the substance-based approaches treat the individual as stable, and think of individuation in terms of already constituted individuals/terms. This is wrong, a principle of individuation results in individuals, not the other way around. So instead he suggests we borrow terms from thermodynamics, and consider individuation in terms of a pre-individual meta-stable state which somehow gets activated to form both the individual and its associated milieu. He gives the example of a liquid that is super-cooled and therefore meta-stable, it requires only some kind of catalyst in the form of energy to "push" it to become crystallized into something else.

Its basically process philosophy