The Melancholia of Class

luka

They do though each dollar spent is a dollar less savings is a dollar more work down the line

For instance, if you gave up drinking you could've retired ages ago, toured America's natural beauty reserves with Craner, filmed a British road trip buddy comedy
People want to work

version

They do though each dollar spent is a dollar less savings is a dollar more work down the line

For instance, if you gave up drinking you could've retired ages ago, toured America's natural beauty reserves with Craner, filmed a British road trip buddy comedy
True, but you have to be able to withstand the vast apparatus pummeling you into submitting to the pleasure principle.

sus

I'm gonna be so pissed if someone on this board dies young from liver failure.

My cultural relativism only stretches so far, sorry Brits

sus

People like moaning
That's true isn't it. They even moan about being bored in retirement. Completely free and still want to feel oppressed so they can bitch about it. No one actually wants freedom. The want excuses why they can't be free

luka

Nobody wants to escape life. They want to do the whole routine. Work, suffer, kids, old, fat, retire, moan. There's nothing else on offer.

version

i don't know. probably not long-term. but i did used to love being secure in that knowledge. rude-ness is quite a nice thing to inhabit if you have the opportunity. actually people being a bit intimidated by you is quite nice to inhabit. don't get to do it anymore but it was kind of, kind of fun as a teenager going into middle-class spaces and people interpreting you as trouble (especially if you were like us essentially very polite kids from the countryside).
I know what you mean, but it's something that makes me uncomfortable looking back as it was something I could move in and out of. Very different world for the people who are never seen as anything but trouble.

You can also get quite a scare playing that role if you run into someone who takes it seriously, particularly adults who don't care that you're a teenager.

version

That's true isn't it. They even moan about being bored in retirement. Completely free and still want to feel oppressed so they can bitch about it. No one actually wants freedom. The want excuses why they can't be free

Reactions: sus

shakahislop

"Locating leisure time in order to waste it may seem self-destructive or even idiotic. And yet this type of thinking, thinking with or through negation, is how we will begin to find ourselves again. First, by saying no to the middle-class capitalist world, turning away from it, and then by taking the time, using this dead time, to ask ourselves where the space is between who we are and where we come from and where the middle-class world begins. This won’t be easy or simple because much of what we have assumed were our own dreams or values, ideas or aesthetics, turn out to have been those of the middle-class culture, ideologies we’ve internalized so long ago, without having been conscious of ever having done so.”