The evolution of emotion

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That's actually pretty interesting. Odd that he doesn't mention Nietzsche at all, who (I'd have thought) would be pretty central to a discussion of 'Will' as a concept and especially in the context of a 'Superman' and deliberate attempts to destroy Christianity.

I can only assume Jack Parsons was a big influence on Thomas Pynchon, too.

Harry Potter and The Methods Of Rationality made me laugh, I must confess.

• Love
Reactions: sus

sus

That's actually pretty interesting. Odd that he doesn't mention Nietzsche at all, who (I'd have thought) would be pretty central to a discussion of 'Will' as a concept and especially in the context of a 'Superman' and deliberate attempts to destroy Christianity.

I can only assume Jack Parsons was a big influence on Thomas Pynchon, too.

Harry Potter and The Methods Of Rationality made me laugh, I must confess.
Yeah I've seen speculation that Parsons' Lieber 49 is the root for Lodge 49. Obviously there's the shared rocketry connection, just a decade apart, and Parsons' place in the SoCal lore Pynchon became so fluent in.

Also seems like Parsons is all over (Mark Frost's contribution to) Twin peaks.

sus

I agree not mentioning Nietzsche is very weird. I guess you set yourself up for these sorts of criticisms when you open your essay by accusing others of taking too narrow a view of transhumanism.

sus

The HPMOR thing is definitely funny. I haven't read but... a lot of people have. I believe it was one of the more popular fanfics in the world, for a while. It has 37,000 reviews on FanFiction.net, which probably means an order of magnitude more readers. The chairman of Wisconsin's Democratic party has lauded it in The Guardian. Apparently

Has a serious Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Methods_of_Rationality

I've met/spent a week hanging out with the inspiration for Quirrell lol.

luka

shiels is having a crisis of coinfidence. hes really been doubting himself and turning inward. we need to encourage him and nurture him so he gets his mojo back. i think its basically too much cocaine comedowns thats behind it, in a nutshell. theres only so much one man can take.

But yes I am under a lot of stress and burning the candle at both ends. Luke somehow picks up these vibrations from the other end of london