Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
And really that is the work of the neurasthenic here. To churn through conceptual material and generate good stuff.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
And really that is the work of the neurasthenic here. To churn through conceptual material and generate good stuff.
The cost being the endurance of a neurosis that tends to entrench itself more and more deeply, propping one up higher and more remotely into the ideal realm, feet farther off the ground.

luka

theyre reading deleue and deleuze is going, i'll tell you what philosophy is about, it's about making shit up

version

I suppose one explanation for the dissent / right wing conflation could be that it limits the fight to a single front and keeps it firmly focused on culture rather than economics.

luka

it's not about whinging like an old woman, it's about making up cool concepts to impress the lads

luka

and you can read the Active & Reactive chapter in Deleuze's Nietzsche & Philosophy and go, ah, yeah, right i can see how this was a signpost to where we are now

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I suppose one explanation for the dissent / right wing conflation could be that it limits the fight to a single front and keeps it firmly focused on culture rather than economics.
Another factor here is that most people aren't interesting in the technical policy stuff. It's for the wonks among us. People are more naturally drawn to cultural matters, whereby simply being socially active is requisite for literacy.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Another factor here is that most people aren't interesting in the technical policy stuff.
Can you imagine normal people getting animated about deficit spending, scrolling through an endless feed of posts about monetary policy? But to controversial, provocative matters of culture, people are more naturally drawn.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
That is, people in influential positions wouldn't even have to work that hard to prevent most people from diving into the technical stuff. Most people are already naturally averted to such things.

luka

Can you imagine normal people getting animated about deficit spending, scrolling through an endless feed of posts about monetary policy? But to controversial, provocative matters of culture, people are more naturally drawn.
on the other hand it is very easy to imagine them animated about their pay packet, about the cost of goods on the market, about how much more the boss, the useless cunt, gets paid than they do

version

I don't know much about it, but I'm sympathetic to the idea that one of the few successful areas of resistance now we're in the digital era is open source software.

I guess you could chuck in online piracy too.

luka

economics, put in those terms, and not obfuscated, is something very close to everybodys heart becasue it goes a long way towards determining quality of life

luka

can you get a job? what are the conditions of employment? this is economics. to think of economics as just weird nerd shit is a mistake.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I don't know much about it, but I'm sympathetic to the idea that one of the few successful areas of resistance now we're in the digital era is open source software.

I guess you could chuck in online piracy too.
Yeah the open source movement is something I'm passionate about too. Open source hardware, open source intelligence, blockchain, open access science, etc.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
im not claiming we understand it, im saying we care about it, very deeply.
I agree that people care about how economics impacts their life, but when we start talking about macroeconomics and monetary policy, it becomes more or less entirely remote as far as most people are concerned.