Dissensus takes The Last Ride

forclosure

Aight people i brought this up with @luka but i think especially for @craner and the old washed European rap fans of this forum this is up you're alley

yeah we're gonna do a group listen of this album after 20+ years of waiting and suggestion it finally came out, granted it came out after the point people who used to swear by this kinda rap would've been interested but its out none the less.

I'll be honest i do not think this album is good and its frequently absurd, eyerolling and at times unintentionally funny but its definitly something that i feel is worth dissecting and looking into even if it falls into that long tradition of dream rap albums that either never come out or fail to live up to expectations

forclosure

For those that need context 4 Horsemen rap supergroup made up of Ras Kass,Canibus, Kurupt and dissensus fav Killah Priest they had one album mixtape thing that came out in 2003 but i feel like that was meant to be a warm up for a version of the album that never came out.

There had been talk of this thing from at least the late 90s at one point it was brought up that it might have Dr. Dre and Daz Dillinger production (which sounds hilarious all things considered but KP on Dre/Daz beats is a fascinating potentially awful idea), they've come together on tunes here and there over the years "Inner G" is probably my favourite of the bunch even if Ras Kass says at one point
"the mind of Cesar Augustus Rocking a Caesar, eating a Caesar salad in August" and the Kurupt verse isn't that great

luka

"the mind of Cesar Augustus Rocking a Caesar, eating a Caesar salad in August" fucking hell

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's interesting how this stuff has become self-parodic: "kick in the door waving the 44 / to hit these ninjas with the ill metaphors" over this thin sounding boom bap beat.

And those punchlines like "tie your face to your legs meet the agony of defeat/de feet" (I've mangled that a bit but you get the idea).

I probably would have loved this – or at least overrted it – when I was 17. They can all still rap pretty well, though. It's notable that a lot of rappers seem to stay good or even get better as they get older. (Method Man / Redman e.g.).

forclosure

It's interesting how this stuff has become self-parodic: "kick in the door waving the 44 / to hit these ninjas with the ill metaphors" over this thin sounding boom bap beat.

And those punchlines like "tie your face to your legs meet the agony of defeat/de feet" (I've mangled that a bit but you get the idea).

I probably would have loved this – or at least overrted it – when I was 17. They can all still rap pretty well, though. It's notable that a lot of rappers seem to stay good or even get better as they get older. (Method Man / Redman e.g.).
see i beg to differ Killah Priest and Kurupt come off the best (Kurupt raps on this album like he has something to prove) but Canibus is so one note his bars turn into white noise Ras Kass though some of the bars he comes with on the album are striaght unforgivable lol

forclosure

It's self parodic in that they're all coming from that Rakim imperialistic,idealistic,kicking specific style of rhyming its all self serious and humourless

imo i think there's a very small group of rappers who still sound good or get better as they get older and i don't agree with these four @Corpsey Meth and Red are more of an exception rather than the rule

This album fascinates me cause its like a "i am ozymandias" kind of thing and if anything just shows how badly the mainstream/backpack split really messed with a number of guys who fell through the cracks ,Canibus as a rapper only makes sense if you remember he blew up in that weird middle period between the split and the times when a rapper like him could get a major deal and appear on Clue tapes and that

forclosure

if this album came out earlier when people still cared NO WAY would Hus Kingpin and Phil da Agony be on there lol THEY FUCKING DUG UP CHINO XL FOR THIS

also i like how on the hook on the first track Canibus whinnies like he's a horse...get it cause 4 horsemen

forclosure

“H R S M N, no vowels / I don’t give a shit, no bowels”
“Penis is not a mode of transportation, fucking dick rider”
"every breath you take i'll be watching you like Sting"

GARBAGE!

forclosure

what's funny is on the day the album came out certain people found out that some of the verses were actually from older tracks that like appeared on albums that nobody would really care about unless you still followed them.

so like this monumental release has all these thingst hat are just such a hodge podge its no wonder the producers aren't listed, the track with the Pat Benatar sample is so awful

luka

The reason Priest still sounds good and the rest don't is he still believes his own shit, has the capacity to get high on his own supply. Once you lose that you've had it really.

Kurrupt is different but this type of hip hop depended on the urgency and sense of import it got from being tied to larger political and or spiritual projects. It gets ugly in every way once they get cynical and disillusioned

luka

I saw Jeru as a shambling drunk in about 2009 for instance. Without the sense of fervour and righteousness there's nothing there. Sizzla another example

craner

Beast of Burden
Aight people i brought this up with @luka but i think especially for @craner and the old washed European rap fans of this forum this is up you're alley

yeah we're gonna do a group listen of this album after 20+ years of waiting and suggestion it finally came out, granted it came out after the point people who used to swear by this kinda rap would've been interested but its out none the less.

I'll be honest i do not think this album is good and its frequently absurd, eyerolling and at times unintentionally funny but its definitly something that i feel is worth dissecting and looking into even if it falls into that long tradition of dream rap albums that either never come out or fail to live up to expectations

Wtf I'm not a rap fan

luka

Your record collection which you proudly described as small but perfectly formed (I.e. It takes up a single shelf) had among its most treasured items, a Showbiz and AG EP and The Infamous.

craner

Beast of Burden
Your record collection which you proudly described as small but perfectly formed (I.e. It takes up a single shelf) had among its most treasured items, a Showbiz and AG EP and The Infamous.

Well that makes me an excessively selective rap fan