Dick's Summer Playlist

DLaurent

What I think is a jazzy house anthem from back when. I didn't want to post too much house but as I say, this list could get way too smooth, and it doesn't matter with this one as it has rugged broken beats in a Bug in The Bassbin style or something, almost...

18) Soho - Hot Music

DLaurent

Really corny electro but has what I'm sure are 'Maggie Thatcher' samples among others and a political message.

20) The WIllesden Dodgers - Acts of Terrorism

DLaurent

The good thing about playlists like this are you can play whatever you want and it doesn't have to 100% fit but this is the Apocalypse Now soundtrack that never existed from an electro punk star.

21) Alan Vega - Viet Vet

DLaurent

I heard this one on a Manchester street soul mix tape of Broadway Sound and it was identified in the comments. Street soul cover of a familiar 80s rock tune and quite unique for it.

22) Less Stress - Don't Dream it's Over

luka

i wrote a poem with the title
Don't dream. It's over.
the other day, which i thought was very clever. that tune is half awful half good. the good bits are good bit basically its fucking terrible

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Follows on from the last. Smokey mellow rhodes and a stormy turnaroud. The backing singers are on point and it's a typical of the era well thought out arrangement.

11) Smokey Robinson - Quiet Storm

My Mum has a decent Smokey collection and this is a favourite

catalog

I heard this one on a Manchester street soul mix tape of Broadway Sound and it was identified in the comments. Street soul cover of a familiar 80s rock tune and quite unique for it.

22) Less Stress - Don't Dream it's Over
Nice tune, I don't think we posted it in the street soul thread we went off on during lockdown

(started by @Bang Diddley in 2012, lockdown phase is page 4 onwards)

Can you remember the YT clip of the Broadway video you got it from?

Broadway were basically like Smith and mighty but Manchester.

DLaurent

Nice tune, I don't think we posted it in the street soul thread we went off on during lockdown

(started by @Bang Diddley in 2012, lockdown phase is page 4 onwards)

Can you remember the YT clip of the Broadway video you got it from?

Broadway were basically like Smith and mighty but Manchester.

This is the video. I can't seem to find part 2 so only short.

DLaurent

My Mum has a decent Smokey collection and this is a favourite

I've been listening to the Quiet Storm genre named after the track to try and find tunes for the playlist. A lot of it is really schmaltzy but there's the odd bit that's not terrible terrible. Of course I could play all classics from other genres like Average White Band - Stop The Rain, but then again it's nice to find new music.

If I was a Creative Source or GLR producer I'd be digging these records for my jazz samples.
This one not really Quiet Storm but he did some tracks in the genre, 70s soul jazz just about palatable.

23) Norman Connors - Love from the Sun

DLaurent

Said I wasn't going to play much house music but I'll never reach my target of 50 tracks without it. This French House track I found out about because Pepe Bradock remixed it, this is my favourite version, the Sunshine version with a Brass Construction - Happy People sample.

24) Cheek - Venus (Sunshine People)

DLaurent

Basically because The Egyptian Empire sampled for The Horn Track a track that a member of this band went on to create, just a weird New Wave track with an ethnic wind instrument. The lists going a bit weird but I'm trying to play unheard stuff as much as I can.

25) Medium Medium - That Haiku

DLaurent

This ones a banger. STL productions have a warmth to them like no one else I know so it's a shame and a blessing he's a bit underrated except by me.

26) STL - Summer Rain

woops

is not like other people
ive bought a bluetooth speaker. its useful for listening as opposed to making noises. so i can check out some of this stuff for a change