Contemporary books

forclosure

i've got a mix of stuff but honestly @Corpsey what it really comes down to is what kind of contemporary books you want to read, this anxiety is a classic one and it's to do with the feeling that you're not keeping up as far as whatever conversation is going on in the "zeitgeist" like you must throw whatever it is to one side to make sure that you're in on the goings on.

For me i've always been out the loop and tend to come to things when i feel like it and if it just so happens to line up right in the middle of the moment then so be it, some of it might be just that you need to check out smaller publishers or get more into looking into stuff that people are putting out online on blogs/tumblr and yes even fanfiction if need be

Have you ever thought about maybe reading more queer literature for instance? cause that might be something to look into or if you're talking non-fiction stuff or maybe fiction

but also one other thing that's worth mentioning is certain old book that have been out of print for decades get reissued so like slowly but surely Tor Books have been reissueing John M Ford's stuff which i've read 2 of them The Dragon Waiting (really good really smart) and The Scholars at Night (80s cold war thriller but the Christopher Marlowe stuff brings a unique slant) so there's always "new old stuff" coming out aswell

Benny Bunter

LIGHTS and POEMS are the best two 'contemporary' books I've read in years.

Granted, I haven't really read any others, but I'm fairly sure they're the best.

Benny Bunter

Have you heard of them @Corpsey ? It's a hot tip I'm giving you here. I normally like to selfishly guard these discoveries for myself, but seeing as it's you ..

forclosure

incidentaly i did start a Marlon James thread who is about as big name a contemporary black author you can get at this point,in part i started it because how the FUCK had nobody done one on here yet

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was looking at some lists of "the best books of the 21st century" earlier and nothing much appealed

shakahislop

the other thing i notice a lot in the contemporary books i end up reading, which i guess you could call 'vaguely intellectual but that intellectual mainstream' as a genre, associated with what i was saying about how rich and fancy the characters are (and essentially as a result the kinds of experiences the books are trying to describe), is how much they talk about international travel. that patricia lockwood one that's mentioned in this thread has her popping all over the place. the rachel cusk books i talked about are the same. the david szalay one Turbulence too, although that's very directly about planes and travel. the thing they have in common isn't just that they talk about travel so much, its that they talk about travel like it's nothing, a piece of cake, easy peasy, just what you do

shakahislop

Surely you enjoy that though
Cos it's what you do all the time
Yeah. I'm not necessarily saying that's something offputting. And it is interesting to triangulate that experience with other people. I find the class composition part offputting because it makes some of what they're describing hard to relate to. That is the thing with a lot of these books, so many of them are about people who basically don't need to work for a living.

One thing though that I notice in the Lockwood book, in Rachel Cusk, and in other books as well, is how detached they seem to be from the places they're going. It captures something I think, deliberately or not, about the limitations of that kind of travel. I'm interested in all of that obviously.

shakahislop

Why they have the time to lounge around writing novels presumably
i guess its a mixture isn't it. obviously writing a book is a job and a difficult thing to do. but it is probably - i know this is an argument everyone has heard before - way easier to do something which has what i imagine as having such a slim chance of ever paying you enough to live off if you basically don't really need an income. i've never been around that world but i'm imagining that's how it works.

jenks

thread death
incidentaly i did start a Marlon James thread who is about as big name a contemporary black author you can get at this point,in part i started it because how the FUCK had nobody done one on here yet
Mate, it’s books - no one… listens but you express an opinion on Japanese dubstep or something and it goes on for weeks.

jenks

thread death
i've got a mix of stuff but honestly @Corpsey what it really comes down to is what kind of contemporary books you want to read, this anxiety is a classic one and it's to do with the feeling that you're not keeping up as far as whatever conversation is going on in the "zeitgeist" like you must throw whatever it is to one side to make sure that you're in on the goings on.

For me i've always been out the loop and tend to come to things when i feel like it and if it just so happens to line up right in the middle of the moment then so be it, some of it might be just that you need to check out smaller publishers or get more into looking into stuff that people are putting out online on blogs/tumblr and yes even fanfiction if need be

Have you ever thought about maybe reading more queer literature for instance? cause that might be something to look into or if you're talking non-fiction stuff or maybe fiction

but also one other thing that's worth mentioning is certain old book that have been out of print for decades get reissued so like slowly but surely Tor Books have been reissueing John M Ford's stuff which i've read 2 of them The Dragon Waiting (really good really smart) and The Scholars at Night (80s cold war thriller but the Christopher Marlowe stuff brings a unique slant) so there's always "new old stuff" coming out aswell
Not much to disagree with here - I love finding out of favour older writers but also the best stuff over the past few years had come from small presses, especially work in translation - great stuff from former Yugoslavia from Istros, French women from Les Fugitives, Latin American from Charco, and other stories, plus good stuff in English from loads of small houses Influx, Bluemoose, Stinging Fly, Galley Beggar and obviously Fitzcarraldo. Think about them as being like independent record labels all with their specialities.

if you could be a bit more specific - you wouldn’t have made a similar complaint on the forum about contemporary music

woops

is not like other people
i guess its a mixture isn't it. obviously writing a book is a job and a difficult thing to do. but it is probably - i know this is an argument everyone has heard before - way easier to do something which has what i imagine as having such a slim chance of ever paying you enough to live off if you basically don't really need an income. i've never been around that world but i'm imagining that's how it works.
I'm going to smash your fucking face in

DannyL

Wild Horses
And Corpsey, read some poetry. The most exciting new writing I've seen is there:

Thriving scene of this sort of stuff you can plug into on Twitter.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Again to borrow Jenks record label analogy this is the repress division.