ShitBrit

blissblogger

Every country in the world has its musical shit but there is something unique about Britshit.

Really truly shaky musical propositions can get surprisingly far - onto music paper covers, TV youth shows, record deals, and even into the charts.

This is a thread for the shit that could only have been spawned in the U.K.

Last edited:

blissblogger

A kind of corruption of sensibility can occur in which you get more of a buzz out of the awful than the actually good.

Which explains perhaps why over the last decade I have watched this clip many more times than those of certain groups I love and admire.

blissblogger

Same goes for this one - a car crash of signifiers I can't stop gawping at

Amazingly this is a group formed by Gareth Sager formerly of The Pop Group

In between he'd been in this group who almost qualify for ShitBrit but have better intentions and sources

blissblogger

There is something about the British tolerance for deficiency that is unique - Joe Carducci, who I mentioned on the Heavy thread, talks about a kind of listening where you sense the group's intention and supply it aurally even when it's not achieved or barely even gestured at. He was talking specifically about how after punk and its ethos of deskilling, you had a lot of rhythmically substandard outfits who got very successful - how British rock in the '60s and '70s had been all about great drummers and rhythms sections (had been the country that had more or less invented Heavy in fact) but after punk you could prosper as a band with barely adequate drumming, feeble rhythms etc. That only got worse with indie and Britpop.

There's a kind of solidarity-based listening where you like the attitude or line of patter that the group puts out - support their values or reckon they are good people - and as a result are prepared to turn a blind ear to the manifest failings in sonic execution. You imaginatively project the kind of musical substance that they ought to have and would supply if capable of it, or prepared to go to the bother of learning how to deliver it.

Last edited:

blissblogger

You really don't like Flowered Up... me either. Always disappointing.

Actually they have one redeeming moment - "Weekender". It's almost-great. But I suspect that the group aren't playing on the record. And a lot of the almost-greatness is down to the video, which is like this short film about the ups and downs of the raving lifestyle.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Actually they have one redeeming moment - "Weekender". It's almost-great. But I suspect that the group aren't playing on the record. And a lot of the almost-greatness is down to the video, which is like this short film about the ups and downs of the raving lifestyle.

I was kinda thinking of Weekender... I always wish it was better than it is.

blissblogger

Jump to 1.05 mins to get directly to the Britshit

Managed by James Brown (then at NME, soon to start Loaded). I remember a feature on Fabulous in which they played a gig somewhere regional and Brown explained to the journo that he never booked a hotel for the band in such circumstances - "if they don't have the nous to cop off with someone after the show, they don't deserve to be in Fabulous".