How do you plan to survive this Winter?

wild greens

I could, I suppose, drive 30 minutes or so to the picturesque Dartmoor village of Chagford and soak up some ambient röntgens in "the world's most radioactive toilets."

Wow that map is crazy. Just sent it to my paranoid brother-in-law who relocated to Cornwall let's see how he gets on with it

shakahislop

every time i come to england these days my first impression is that it's pretty ramshackle, nothing works properly and everything is falling apart.

i get used to it very quickly. not sure how much of it is in my head and how much is real. but it does sometimes feel like it's not exactly a rich country anymore. even the US to some extent feels like it has its shit together more, for some things, and the US definitely feels richer.

Leo

the US definitely feels richer.

halfway decent restaurants here have become noticeably more expensive, all this pandemic pricing seems to have become permanent. easily 30% more than in 2019, entrees priced at $35-50, appetizers $20+. and I'm not talking fine dining establishments.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
every time i come to england these days my first impression is that it's pretty ramshackle, nothing works properly and everything is falling apart.

i get used to it very quickly. not sure how much of it is in my head and how much is real. but it does sometimes feel like it's not exactly a rich country anymore. even the US to some extent feels like it has its shit together more, for some things, and the US definitely feels richer.
There's loads more people sleeping rough than there used to be, for a start.

shakahislop

the house has been fucking freezing all day and the smart meter thing says we've spend 13 quid on gas and electric today, it's really mad watching it go up, partly coz i've never seen one of those before, but also because that's quite a lot

my energy bill (for a tiny studio rather than a house) in nyc is usually about $50 a month, and that's with an electric heater too

shakahislop

halfway decent restaurants here have become noticeably more expensive, all this pandemic pricing seems to have become permanent. easily 30% more than in 2019, entrees priced at $35-50, appetizers $20+. and I'm not talking fine dining establishments.

it's been remarked upon at length elsewhere but my days of uber-ing and getting delivery are over, that shit is just too expensive now. $30 to the airport was fine, $70 is enough to just take the subway.

martin

----
Everyone up here is giving out about how they can only heat up one room for 10 minutes a day - but my street looks like Las Vegas right now, with FUCKING MASSIVE Xmas lights draped all over the houses and flashing from 4pm to midnight pretty much every day since 1 December.

My main plan's to avoid hospitalisation at all costs. Will just slowly slalom across the ice on my arse, in a binbag nappy.

Leo

it's been remarked upon at length elsewhere but my days of uber-ing and getting delivery are over, that shit is just too expensive now. $30 to the airport was fine, $70 is enough to just take the subway.

it's a sign of how much money there is in NYC though, because the restaurants with $50 entrees are packed and and plenty of people are still taking those $70 Ubers to the airport. Wall St and tech bro money still abounds, single dudes/dudettes making $200k+ don't give a shit about a $25 glass of wine or $30 appetizer.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
the mad thing is that i have absolutely no idea how much more i will have to pay when i get the bill at the end of this year or next year? will it be 100 extra, 1000, 10000? and why are we not lynching the people who are making extreme profits from this?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Everyone up here is giving out about how they can only heat up one room for 10 minutes a day - but my street looks like Las Vegas right now, with FUCKING MASSIVE Xmas lights draped all over the houses and flashing from 4pm to midnight pretty much every day since 1 December.
[annoying nasal science-nerd voice]
Any appliance involving heat - central heating, oven, kettle, doesn't matter - uses a fuckton of energy, whether that's supplied by electricity or gas. Much more than any form of lighting, and modern LED lights draw virtually no power at all.

martin

----
[annoying nasal science-nerd voice]
Any appliance involving heat - central heating, oven, kettle, doesn't matter - uses a fuckton of energy, whether that's supplied by electricity or gas. Much more than any form of lighting, and modern LED lights draw virtually no power at all.
OK, so I've basically bolloxed it up by having 30-minute piping hot showers and then eating my dinner in the dark. This is what happens when you spend science lessons daydreaming about sex instead.

why are we not lynching the people who are making extreme profits from this?

If anyone knew, we'd have saved ourselves a shitload of grief since 2008.