The Best Artists Working Today In All Mediums

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Also, there's loads of pastiche stuff where you can hear they've sat down and coldly taken token signifiers from a selection of tunes and put out a track, satisfied with the fact that it sounds similar/could blend in on the radio. Most of the time that stuff is lacklustre and forgettable. There's still skill in being referential and pumping some actual life in there, to get the senses roused, y'know? Also possible to make things sound fresh with different production techniques etc.

Personally I don't care what you do, as long as it bangs.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I also think there may be something to be said for the relatively peaceful conditions of the last few generations, in terms of the absence of world wars, plagues, etc., and how these peaceful conditions enable us to basically just live in our heads and just constantly ruminate on cultural materials, IE exist in more of a state of hyperreality consisting of ideas and references. Makes sense how these conditions lead the the kind of maximalism like DFW, and all of these different spins on irony and sincerity.

Also maybe Jordan Peele is worth considering here. I haven't seen Nope yet, but he's been called today's Hitchcock. Having seen over 30 Hitchcock films by now, I'd take that claim with a grain of salt, but Peele could well become similarly great in his own right.

Finished watching Nope just now. I can't say anything without spoling, other than after a confusing build up, it truly delivers in the final 30 minutes. It draws on a rarely diverse range of ideas from popular culture from the past 50 years, some really quite obscure BoCesque stuff, but brings them together artfully.The quality of the cinematography throughout is remarkable too, gin clear.

Rear Window and North by Northwest are two of my favourite films, I think because I watched both aged around 8 (when they looked less old-fashioned) and they both dug deep grooves in my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo