IdleRich

IdleRich
I feel like theres been an analogue for the term before internet culture became what it is. Didnt 90's goths say normie or something of the like?
Isn't it just the latest iteration of hip vs square, turned on vs straight etc type dichotomy... I'm not saying that normie maps exactly on to square, but there is a similarity in the way that the inside group divides the world into those like them and those not... and with normie it's so clear that the insider group are talking to each other that they don't even need a name... there is us, and there are the normies.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Isn't it just the latest iteration of hip vs square, turned on vs straight etc type dichotomy... I'm not saying that normie maps exactly on to square, but there is a similarity in the way that the inside group divides the world into those like them and those not... and with normie it's so clear that the insider group are talking to each other that they don't even need a name... there is us, and there are the normies.
I also think of non-normies being cultural outsiders, which is strange because they tend to look down on normies as being sheeple or basic (another good word to use here).

linebaugh

ya definitely. what Im interested about normie specifically is how this has possibly accelerated via physical materials/technology.

Theres a type of normie architecture/design thats gotten very big in the past 5-10 years that projects normiedome outside the lines of class. Theres always been buildings/design choices that project an in group and an out group via sophistication and wealth and manners, but this new trend Im talking about achieves normiedome without those signifiers- its on the same class level as an anti-normie space. Maybe the designers themselves are unaware that this is the feel their space projects, but theres an immediate repulsion to these spaces felt by the non normie which I think is significant and possibly an new historical anomaly in that the repulsion is achieved outside of class signifiers. but I dont know, thats why I bring this to you all

Last edited:

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
ya definitely. what Im interested about normie specifically is how this has possibly accelerated via physical materials/technology.

Theres a type of normie architecture/design thats gotten very big in the past 5-10 years that projects normiedome outside the lines of class. Theres always been buildings/design choices that project an in group and an out group via sophistication and wealth and manners, but this new trend Im talking about achieves normiedome without those signifiers- its on the same class level as an anti-normie space. Maybe the designers themselves are unaware that this is the feel their space projects, but theres an immediate repulsion to these spaces felt by the non normie which I think is significant and possibly an new historical anomaly in that the repulsion is achieved outside of class signifiers. but I dont know thats why I bring this to you all
Any examples of this architecture? Or did you already share some upthread?

Reactions: sus

linebaugh

perhaps thats a bad example as that building does try to present as posh, but offline the image is shattered cause its right on a very ugly intersection

IdleRich

IdleRich
Theres a type of normie architecture/design thats gotten very big in the past 5-10 years that projects normiedome outside the lines of class. Theres always been buildings/design choices that project an in group and an out group via sophistication and wealth and manners, but this new trend Im talking about achieves normiedome without those signifiers- its on the same class level as an anti-normie space. Maybe the designers themselves are unaware that this is the feel their space projects, but theres an immediate repulsion to these spaces felt by the non normie which I think is significant and possibly an new historical anomaly in that the repulsion is achieved outside of class signifiers. but I dont know thats why I bring this to you all

Fascinated by this idea. Will it work when I see a picture of one or do I actually have to experience it in the flesh.