sus

This isnt entirely true anymore though, normies have their own means of cultural production. Look at popular the Youtubers, podcasters and etc.

Yes but they're not setting norms.

Normies = people who follow norms closely

If you're in fashion you're straight-up setting norms

linebaugh

Yes but they're not setting norms.

Normies = people who follow norms closely
Id argue they are. That man has 100 million followers. Yes its down stream from established norms but youtube as a community is separate enough that it turns in on itself while also remaining large enough to have that action seep outward into normie culture

sus

I find it incredibly upsetting that instead of desperately running around the mall, playing by the states rules, he brings in a bunch of friends, changes rules up mid-game, and just has a team gradually do a systematic search.

linebaugh

Anecdotal, but I stayed with another normie friend a few years ago and most of the TV they watch is YouTubers. Not youtube videos, but YouTubers. They put it on like TV channels

linebaugh

I find it incredibly upsetting that instead of desperately running around the mall, playing by the states rules, he brings in a bunch of friends, changes rules up mid-game, and just has a team gradually do a systematic search.

I check in on this guy every now and then, just poking around. the way they incorporate the ad into the plank walking bit at the 6 minute mark is fantastic

linebaugh

I like this guy because not only is he a millionaire but his whole thing is cultural commentary, and just look at hows he living. look at that room. thats how powerful normiedome is

sus

Id argue they are. That man has 100 million followers. Yes its down stream from established norms but youtube as a community is separate enough that it turns in on itself while also remaining large enough to have that action seep outward into normie culture
I think they're still basically re-creating Oprah giveaways and Survivor. I think being able to innovate culture, and not being a normie, are very strongly correlated

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
tell us about the freight trains!
There's a lot that could be said idk

It's a tradition in the U.S. going back a long ways and crust punk etc types are just the most recent iteration, tho punks riding freight trains has been a thing since at least the early-mid 90s. The generation before that was like marginal types and I believe some Vietnam vets ca late 70s-early 80s who struggled to reintegrate into society. I met some of those types in the early 00s, some were really cool and some were...not. But the primary group riding freight has always been and likely always will be, no surprise, migrant/transient labor. A lot of punks actually did seasonal labor - apples, cranberries, sugar beets, a few ppl I met did fishing stuff up in Alaska - so it comes full circle a bit, tho idk if that's still the case or not. Some people were interested in or cared more about like traditional hobo culture, I never really did.

If you have how questions - how do you get on/off, how do you know where the trains are going, etc - I can answer them but idk how relevant it is to people who don't ride. It's different now tho, everyone having smartphones was a gamechanger, you can just track individual cars by serial #. Back in (ahem) my day, you had a to be a bit savvier/more knowledgeable.

I don't really ever bring it up unless I run into younger punks who still ride and we'll trade shop talk. People - norms - are usually like "wait that still exists" cos they have the idea of hobos as a Depression thing, bindlestiffs, etc

I happen to live pretty close to one if Chicago's many major trainyards and there's a heavily used track down the street from my house. I do enjoy every now + then sitting on the back porch and seeing trains go by. Yunno the memories it evokes. Being young, that age where you don't realize what it means to young. Most punks who do it are only semi-transient, you'll be based or at least winter over (tho I've ridden in winter, you just need to be geared up) somewhere, but it's still a very difficult lifestyle to maintain as you age, let one if you have kids, any kind of physical disability or anything requiring a regular routine (including most jobs, hence the seasonal labor).

sus

Confused about the economics here. YT ads on these videos are producing tens of thousands of dollars—how do you justify blowing hundreds of thousands on their production?

linebaugh

Confused about the economics here. YT ads on these videos are producing tens of thousands of dollars—how do you justify blowing hundreds of thousands on their production?
apparently he loses money on the main channel and makes it back up with his army of low cost side channels- reaction vids, gameplay vids. vlogs

linebaugh

I think they're still basically re-creating Oprah giveaways and Survivor. I think being able to innovate culture, and not being a normie, are very strongly correlated
now you sound like anne hathaway calling the blue belts the same. Mr beast is inventing a context. shiny new packaging

• Haha
Reactions: sus