luka

us lot-woops what do you think of rimbaud have you read it?
woops-you can't even read it in french
us lot-well yeah, but have you read it? what do you make of it?
woops- i can read french
us lot- yeah but what about rimbaud? what impression did you get of it?
woops- you must be thick you don't know any french

luka

Gus might read in a really weird way but at least he reads. he's read at least one Shakespeare. makes an effort. has the mental energy and verbal facility to articulate his thoughts. weird thoughts, granted, but he can articulate them. shaka might come across as simple but once again, he is capable of articulating a thought. he can register his own impressions. he's got a pleasing naivete. Shiels is much the same. a bit too influenced by online discourse, but there's some mental life going on.

craner

Beast of Burden
craner is always high-handed, sneering and refusing to get involved but at least he makes one or two posts a year to remind us that his still has a functioning brain and a cultivated sensibility.

No, I'm just thick.

sus

The funniest bit about all this intellectual rivalry is the long-running PM thread in which Slothrop, Rich and I constantly take the piss out of all you dimwits who couldn't solve a differential equation if your miserable lives depended on it.
Bro, you come here tryna flex and yet you're still using watered-down terms like "differential." Whereas I, a true scholar, read the original Newton and am hip to fluxions.

sus

Mvuent took Calc BC (that's 200-level university calc) when he was a sophomore in high school. Linebaughs bumfuck nowhere Texas high school didn't offer math classes above geometry but he still taught himself derivatives by listening to Khan academy while doodling skeletons. Stan is off applying quantum theory to cryptography as we speak. The dudes are here discussing literature because we implicitly understand that affective feeling is just coarse-grained computation, that the more advanced your math, the less it looks like classicism's numbers and the more it resembles romanticism's vibes. Step to us, "broski"

luka

this was craners patrician judgement

"I think with version though it’s more of a case of Pynchonitis: a manic desire to collect and store as much information and data as possible for deployment when needed, a broad but shallow ultra-erudition. I can't fucking stand the cunt."

luka

this was craners patrician judgement

"I think with version though it’s more of a case of Pynchonitis: a manic desire to collect and store as much information and data as possible for deployment when needed, a broad but shallow ultra-erudition. I can't fucking stand the cunt."
i think craners frustration here is generational to a large extent. aquiring knowledge was so hard for our generation and we were proud of the little that we managed to glean. like, thirdform knows obviously way more about music than say, matthew ingram or simon reynolds, but they had to work so much harder for it.

i remember when i first got my ipod and i took it round my Real Hip-Hop mate's house and i was gloating going look at all these super rare rap records ive just downloaded for free in about 45 minutes, large professor remixes and etc none of which you've ever heard and he said
i want to throw that thing out the window.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Luka makes up so much stuff and so convincingly that I now no longer know what I've actually said and what's he said I've actually said