Physical acts of genius [sports gods]

version

You're missing the point though. Jumping over a guy is hard but it wasn't a necessary part of him scoring. From that situation it was expected that he would score, show-boating while he did it doesn't seem like sporting genius to me.

I mean I concede the difference between this one and the Jordan one where that spin lost the defender who looked as though he had it blocked off.

Does what I'm saying make sense? Cos this is my problem with a lot of basketball, the way the highlights I see tend to focus on stuff that doesn't really alter the game but which appears to be someone gilding the lily of a relatively easy score.

The show-boating is part of it though. It's about style as well as technique and ability.

You could also say the same of someone doing a rabona or a bicycle kick in a game of footy. It's arguably more impressive if there's an easier option and someone takes the hard one anyway and pulls it off, like scoring a panenka in a shootout.

Your criteria would rule out flair in favour of functionality.

Look at this. This isn't necessary, but it's absolutely brilliant and incredibly difficult. The guy's got a finger missing on his dominant hand too.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Screenshot_20221010-223624_YouTube.jpg

Should have passed, but if you're going to score here it could be harder to be pushed out to the left or alternatively try and run around the 7 foot tall man for the right. The obvious option: jump over him and teabag him into the bargain.

Don't forget: he's French.

version

This is one of my favourite Messi goals. The amount of power he gets on the shot with that little time and space is ridiculous.

version

This is ridiculous too, also has the added significance of being almost identical to that Maradona goal.

luka

I remember watching this as it happened.

i remember watching this as it happened and it just seemed impossible. i couldn't work it out at all. i never got any pleasure out of watching messi cos he doesn't seem real. he's a simulation footballer. not a human being, some sort of cheat code.

version

I love watching Messi. He's the only player I've ever seen who seems to do something amazing pretty much every time he steps on a football pitch and he's still like that at 35 and after fifteen years or so of doing it.

luka

i dont get any pleasure out of watching him do extraordinary things though. a lot of people feel like me. it's odd i guess but it's very common. there's something boring about his brilliance.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The show-boating is part of it though. It's about style as well as technique and ability.

You could also say the same of someone doing a rabona or a bicycle kick in a game of footy. It's arguably more impressive if there's an easier option and someone takes the hard one anyway and pulls it off, like scoring a panenka in a shootout.

Your criteria would rule out flair in favour of functionality.

Look at this. This isn't necessary, but it's absolutely brilliant and incredibly difficult. The guy's got a finger missing on his dominant hand too.

I'm not saying that gilding the lily is bad or that you should always take the more functional option, but I'm saying that when the functional - only - optional is also the incredibly difficult one and the scorer pulls it off, that's when we get a great goal. Yeah doing a rabona when you don't have to is kinda like a pisstake thing and it's cool and all... but when you think "there's no way that he can get a shot off the chance has gone" and then the foot unexpectedly curls round from the other side and rabonas it in, then that's next level cos the trick was inherent to the goal (nb I'm using goal/basket etc kinda interchangeably from now on as it could be any sport)

A goal that can only be scored by the invocation of impossible skill is a great goal. And in the pantheon of goals I think such a goal comes way above one where someone does a bit of showboating to gloss an otherwise routine finish.

IdleRich

IdleRich
This is one of my favourite Messi goals. The amount of power he gets on the shot with that little time and space is ridiculous.

It's a beautiful goal, not just the finish but the build-up too... maybe just cos it's fresh in my mind but the goal he scored for PSG the other day was sort of similar. Or if not similar, reminiscent.

IdleRich

IdleRich
This is full of genius moments.

Maybe on that video I dunno, but I saw one with Bird passing it through someone's legs, that's a proper pisstake.
I read something the other day where they described a basketball pass where his player was like 30m away and there was a defender midway between but the guy threw it so it bounced through the defender's legs and up to the target... sounded liked bollocks or at least exaggeration, certainly there was no link.

version

It's a beautiful goal, not just the finish but the build-up too... maybe just cos it's fresh in my mind but the goal he scored for PSG the other day was sort of similar. Or if not similar, reminiscent.

Did you see the pass he played from the floor too? Someone fouled him and he got the through ball off whilst sliding along the floor on his side.