Incidental Remixes in DJ Sets

dilbert1

So you mean like really exceptional and extended blends then? I do and have certainly noticed them, and get really excited by them! Sometimes if its something I don’t recognize being blended, when I go to track it down its much less exciting. Even just having things pitched up can have a ‘remix’ quality to it.

This is basically how I approach making deejay mixes. I only recently got into the practice of just throwing tunes I know well enough on, spontaneously blending and letting whatever happen. For my last recorded mix especially it was highly planned on the basis of the longest and most exciting blends, both just sonically/polyrhythmically/key-wise as well as rhyming thematically (getting samples to talk to or compliment each other), which I find through a long pre-production process of auditioning and experimenting with different combinations of all my tunes. Then I’d sort of map out rather precisely what should happen based on maximizing my findings. Of course that’s not really ‘deejaying’ as you would playing for a live audience, but if I’m simply making a recording why document blindly faffing about when I can intentionally craft a program?

Now if you’re a well skilled deejay you can obviously pull off these more acutely practiced or rehearsed things live, like Hype does beautifully with Scottie here below (starts at 1:55), phasing and beat juggling like a lunatic

dilbert1

I haven’t been listening to as many mixes (or as much music) lately but if and when I get back to it I’ll surely stick some more examples in here

mvuent

Void Dweller
usually what happens when i start a thread is that everyone ignores it and then luka gives me meta-advice, tells me the premise is too obscure or unclear to work—and then everyone's like "ooh, new luka post, i've got to see this!" and that opens the door for my thread to reach a second or third page. this dynamic is sort of a crutch for me. i rely on it and i really shouldn't.
fuck ever single one of you who liked this stupid fucking comment while ignoring my actual contributions to the thread. may you all burn in hell.

dilbert1

Honestly listening to two tunes simultaneously (and not merely in an uninterrupted ‘mashup’ way, but manipulated variably with the cross fader and back-and-forth bass switches, etc) is one of the best things jungle has to offer, the turntablist roots in hip-hop are much more evident due to the frenetic nature of the music. Sure all different forms of dance music capitalize on this, but a lot of it is ‘mashup’ or an A —> B kind of thing, in jungle you really get tunes sparring with each other. I’m a big fan of blends where the next tune isn’t even dropped, just teased for a while because it sounds good

mvuent

Void Dweller
yeah absolutely agree. the traditional conception of djing as "smoothly and unobtrusively getting from A to B" really ought to be left in the dustbin. it can be so much more than that. it's about combinations and embellishment—using individual tracks as lego blocks to build a larger, more dynamic, and greater form. in the old days you had to be a virtuoso to get very far with that but now anyone can do it. and yes, 100%, turntablism is the teacher.

speaking of which, i really like the use of "hobo scratch" at the start of this mix (from dj yella before he was in nwa, iirc). the way you have completely different stuff happening in the left and right channels is ridiculous:

dilbert1

God damn, incredible. This channel looks great too, will have to check out this series of Yella’s, and have been meaning to dig more into these sorts of records in the early 80s melting pot of hip hop. Coincidentally a friend just recently introduced me to “Buffalo Gals” and this whole era of McLaren getting his little hands on the ghetto youth phenom.

linebaugh

fuck ever single one of you who liked this stupid fucking comment while ignoring my actual contributions to the thread. may you all burn in hell.
if you had said the word 'collage' at some point in all the rambling people might be more prepared to contribute!

I have no dance links to provide but hip hop can get there too, albeit stops before going all the way over

you get a slight rush when the white noise or whatever unwanted sound that cant be curtailed at the end of the samble bleeds into the next and theres a moment of intense texture. its extremely ear grabbing, feels likes its triggering some atavistic stimuli response

luka

no one can remember any mix other than ones they did themselves (that no one else except themselves ever noticed). very telling.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The one mix I can remember quite clearly off the top of my head is Andy c mixing "pacman" into "all aboard" on a DNBA CD.

But I don't listen to mixes anymore really. Used to be really into them - doing them and listening to them.

Luka can't understand cos he has never liked mixes either way.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think to appreciate a mix you often need to know both tunes that are in the mix. That was why I as a nerd used to get very excited hearing a tune coming in when I was at DNB/dubstep nights.

luka

you should never be enough of a nerd that you even realise theres a mix happening. you should be totally oblivious.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Come on don't pretend you wouldn't have recognised a tune coming in when you were at Rage in 1992 or whatever