Explain to an american how lizz truss resigning can happen

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I think @linebaugh is embarrassed by this thread so now he's trying to pretend the initial question was more complicated than it really was.
Really he should be asking you how the Cenobitic parliament works, EG your guys’ oft-abused fill’er-n-bust’er

Last edited:

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Big Leather had the parliament by the balls in more than one sense, until the advent of Imopolex ushered in the great paraphilia schism. Set the stage for a populist approach to Material Centrism.

IdleRich

IdleRich
whenever it is that labour finally get it, it's going to be interesting to see how the more boring left-wing commenters and laymen deal with it. all these people's internet use came of age under the tories, they've never had to have online opinions under a labour government before

Yeah that's true, I think that there is a lot of it that will come as a shock to a lot of people. I wonder if the party will know how to even operate, I think you could see that when there was the coalition with Tories and LDs that the latter didn't really know how the basic machinery of stuff worked.

Who is gonna be the next PM, I can't really tell if Boris Johnson has a massive groundswell of support or not. I think maybe he's a bit like Trump in the US election who won a lot of votes cos a lot of people liked him, but was also hugely hated and drew a record opposition. I mean that BJ divides opinion like that with lovers and haters but I don't know which group is bigger, certainly within the Nasty Party.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Filibuster is something that UK and US parliaments have - though I have the feeling it has a more sort of official status over your side - but does it exist in other countries? Where was it invented?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh, it has a long and (ig)noble history I see - I probably should have guessed.

One of the first known practitioners of the filibuster was the Roman senator Cato the Younger. In debates over legislation he especially opposed, Cato would often obstruct the measure by speaking continuously until nightfall.[4] As the Roman Senate had a rule requiring all business to conclude by dusk, Cato's purposefully long-winded speeches were an effective device to forestall a vote.

linebaugh

I think @linebaugh is embarrassed by this thread so now he's trying to pretend the initial question was more complicated than it really was.
The opposite. Knowing now, all I wanted someone to say was that in the UK, individual politicians are less 'essential' to the political culture there. There are moments where they have been, but its not like in the US where its a requirement everytime vis a vis the relationship of their parties to the public. This could have led into a very intuitive conversation about the lived experience of a citizen in said culture, and how the culture and actual political institutions feed into eachother in cyberbetic loop.

What instead happened was I got a long and tedious list of every bad thing the tories have ever done and judgemental looks from rich and version for not maintaining constant reverence toward the fact that brexit is the worst thing to happen to modern democracy in the history of the world

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Not at all. I was disappointed at you not grasping various things, but actually I don't even remember you saying anything about brexit.

But I do think it's a good thread and it's a good question (even if you're not quite understanding the answers) - cos yeah normally PMs don't just resign like that. And, even if we consider that recently there has been a sudden change where instead of Blair or Thatcher lasting decades, you suddenly have loads of PMs in quick succession - which er, actually was down to Brexit - we must recognise that the departure of Truss is even a newer thing than that, a different phenomenon. And it is relevant to ask about why did the line break here, why did discipline snap, why did it all cave in with her in a way that I've not seen happen before... cos, maybe not quite as strong as in the US, but there had always been a kinda party-discipline self-preservation thing that kicked in and yet this time it broke.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Also, to be clear; while it's completely inarguable that politics in the UK has totally changed since brexit, and it's also true that I think that brexit was a terrible decision; that change is not mainly not due to how bad the decision was, but how divisive it was, how it has never been properly dealt with. And basically this division is what has changed the face of politics in UK since the brexit vote, with loads of stuff that never happened before happening all the time. The way the way the vote was run without a proper definition of what the result would mean and so on all fed into that of course.

linebaugh

Unironically wild greens comments about the tabloids was more in the vein...or could have been, I dont know is my point.

If the joke that truss was ousted because the tabloids turned on her works because, while absurd, theres a part of it that appeals to your worst judgement that the statement feels right, where is that feeling coming from?

Last edited:

linebaugh

But that could also be a very stupid conversation to have, I will admit Im questioning the efficacy of my original mission

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A good expression I read the other day is that when the Leave campaigns won the referendum in 2016, Britain became 'the dog that caught the car'.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I do agree thats all very interesting it just wasnt what I was trying to talk about

But it set the scene for Truss's departure.

A lot of the stuff that was said you replied with "but in the US they could lie their way out of this, or ride it out or whatever" and in the past that would have also been true in the UK, but somehow now it's not. But I agree you're totally right to ask, why can't they, that is a good question and it definitely deserves a thread.